Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes Downloaded music library

I currently have over 1000 of my favorite songs downloaded (from many sources) on my itunes library.

I do not use icloud and although I have had a subscription for some time to Apple Music, I have not downloaded any songs to my library in the icloud thru Apple music.

I enjoy having and owning my playlists and when I want to add a song I simply buy it from the apple store.

Now I am thinking about using icloud and I am looking for advice on whether to do so.

I am wondering if there are unintended negative consequences to doing so?

What benefits are there to doing so?

This all started when a friend asked if I could share one of my playlists with him. Any chance of getting that done?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 7:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 8:32 PM

I have seen several posts from people who have had problems with their existing iTunes library after subscribing to Apple Music. When you turn on iCloud Music Library to subscribe, it will upload your existing library to the "cloud" thru Apple Music. I strongly suggest you make a backup copy of your existing library before subscribing. See:

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

The benefits of subscribing are that you will have access to literally millions of songs for a nominal monthly fee. However, you only lease those songs for as long as you maintain your subscription. (The songs are DRM copy protected.). If and when you cancel all those songs go away.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2021 8:32 PM in response to Liest1

I have seen several posts from people who have had problems with their existing iTunes library after subscribing to Apple Music. When you turn on iCloud Music Library to subscribe, it will upload your existing library to the "cloud" thru Apple Music. I strongly suggest you make a backup copy of your existing library before subscribing. See:

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

The benefits of subscribing are that you will have access to literally millions of songs for a nominal monthly fee. However, you only lease those songs for as long as you maintain your subscription. (The songs are DRM copy protected.). If and when you cancel all those songs go away.

ITunes Downloaded music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.