Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accent Menu Not Working

After an OS update on my macbook pro, my Accent Menu is not working. When I press and hold a key that allows for accents (such as 'a') the letter just repeats. I have tried turning off the Key Repeat slider but the Accent Menu still does not pop-up. Please help me fix it, Apple is trying to make my life harder.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 1:59 PM

justgab wrote:

After an OS update on my macbook pro, my Accent Menu is not working. When I press and hold a key that allows for accents (such as 'a') the letter just repeats.

Try this which works for some people:

open Terminal app and type

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

and then restart.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2021 1:59 PM in response to justgab

justgab wrote:

After an OS update on my macbook pro, my Accent Menu is not working. When I press and hold a key that allows for accents (such as 'a') the letter just repeats.

Try this which works for some people:

open Terminal app and type

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

and then restart.

Jun 8, 2021 11:43 AM in response to justgab

Hi there justgab,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand your keyboard is not working as expected. We’ll be happy to help.

Have you made any changes to your keyboard settings? Have you tried restarting your Mac yet? If not, let’s start with that step. Then test to see if the accents work.

If the issue continues, follow this guide: If your Mac doesn’t respond to key presses. We hope this helps.

Best regards.

Accent Menu Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.