Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I enter a function as a selection in a pop up menu?

Hello,

I am trying to setup a budget numbers for my household. Some of our expenses are split down the middle, more is paid by certain individuals and some amounts change monthly. I have the monthly amount in column A, and in column B and C I have the amounts each roommate pays. Is there any way to manipulate the cell in column B and C and create a pop up menu so one of the selections is a function? So the function would reference a cell in column A that has the whole amount due. I would like something like =C7*.5676. So when I select that in the pop up menu it will do the math and populate the money owed by that individual in the same cell. Right now I enter a function in the drop down menu creator in format under cell, and the function does come up but only as text, it doesnt do the functions command.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 10:00 PM

No, as you have discovered, it is not possible to enter a formula via a Popup Menu.

But you can have a formula in a separate cell refer to the value in the cell with the Pop-Up Menu.

Or just keep it simple, something like this:

Values in columns A through D are entered.

The formula in E2, copied right and down, is:

=$A2*C2

Row 6 is defined as a Footer Row. It will "shift down" as you add more expenses.

The formula in E6 is =SUM(E) copied right.

SG

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2021 10:00 PM in response to silenthillboy

No, as you have discovered, it is not possible to enter a formula via a Popup Menu.

But you can have a formula in a separate cell refer to the value in the cell with the Pop-Up Menu.

Or just keep it simple, something like this:

Values in columns A through D are entered.

The formula in E2, copied right and down, is:

=$A2*C2

Row 6 is defined as a Footer Row. It will "shift down" as you add more expenses.

The formula in E6 is =SUM(E) copied right.

SG

Can I enter a function as a selection in a pop up menu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.