Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Correct sample rate on the audio device for hi res content

How can I tell what the sample rate of the new hi res content in Apple Music is so that I can set my audio interface correctly on my Mac? Or get the Music app to set it automatically like for example Qobuz does. I use an external audio interface with my Mac Mini. This works well on the iPhone with external DAC (Dragonfly Cobalt in my case). I tried Bitperfect which works for hi res content that I have on my disc but not for streaming. It simply reverts to 44.1 even with hi res files.

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 5:46 AM

I've noticed what I think is a bug. If I start playback with the big, reddish Play button, the icon appears and remains as I use the skip button to navigate the tracks. If I start playback on an individual song, it does not.

Of course, thanks to the Audio MIDI concerns we've all been talking about, there's no way to know if Music is actually playing a different stream in each case.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2021 5:46 AM in response to soolsson

I've noticed what I think is a bug. If I start playback with the big, reddish Play button, the icon appears and remains as I use the skip button to navigate the tracks. If I start playback on an individual song, it does not.

Of course, thanks to the Audio MIDI concerns we've all been talking about, there's no way to know if Music is actually playing a different stream in each case.

Jun 9, 2021 12:40 PM in response to Michael Duffy1

• This is consistent: On a supported iPad OS and MacOS, click that "Lossless" icon to identify the stream info.
  • Automatic "Exclusive" mode for Apple Music on MacOS would be nice to have / bug fix
  • Workaround on MacOS for bit perfect sound is to click the "Lossless" icon and then adjust bit depth and sample rate in Audio MIDI Setup to match the stream.

@Apple should update the KB docs to include this info.

But hey, at least Apple thought about this and the info is there, just not needed for most people. Fun stuff and discovery. :)

Jun 8, 2021 8:35 AM in response to Michael Duffy1

Yes, which would be an option if I knew what the sample rate of the songs that are presented as hi res lossless are but that can vary between 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192Khz as I have understood it. Qobuz changes the sample rate of the interface automatically so that the playback remains bit perfect. They also disclose the sample rate for each album in their Mac app so in case the automatic change doesn't work you can still adjust manually using the audio interface software or the MIDI setup app. I hope this changes as Apple Music matures with lossless and Dolby Atmos.

Jun 8, 2021 10:39 AM in response to soolsson

Same answer I have posted on another thread (I apologize if I annoyed anyone for "cross post")

Apple Music does NOT do "EXCLUSIVE MODE"

Meaning, the application itself will not "take over" and stream to your DAC with the native bitrate of the music you're playing via Apple Music.

It will ONLY follow a fixed bit rate which you have set on Audio MIDI Setup for the connected DAC.

For example if you set Audio MIDI Setup for your $15k DAC from Nagra at 96k/24bit, all your music played from Apple Music App on your Macbook will be streamed at 96k/24bit, doesn't matter if the track itself is 44.1k or 96k.

Bottomline, playing music from Apple Music App using a Macbook is not bit-perfect, as it will resampled by whatever fixed setting at Audio MIDI Setup.

Using other player, for example Roon, which has "exclusive" mode will ignore sampling rate setting from Audio MIDI Setup and play tracks matching the material sample rate, up to the max supported bitrate of your DAC.

Playing on iOS, on the other hand, is bit-perfect, aka, no resampling.

Which is a shame on Apple how they have missed this on the MacOS Apple Music app. They need to get it fixed ASAP!

Jun 9, 2021 11:35 AM in response to surfsnow1

In this case, would it make more sense to set a lower rate so if a track is high resolution lossless, it scales back instead of having 96k-192k as the output and having to upscale more potentially affecting the outcome more? So far I have seen more lossless than high resolution lossless tracks. Don't know if this makes sense, trying to understand. Thanks

Jun 10, 2021 3:33 AM in response to Blademan007

Just found another anomalie. Listening to Dirty Loops Phoenix album which is listed as Lossless. Indeed the first, fourth and fifth songs are lossless 44.1/16 but the second and third songs are actually hi res 96/24. Nice but it would go unnoticed if I hadn't checked the lossless icon during playback. Another reason to make Apple Music change the sample rate automatically.

Correct sample rate on the audio device for hi res content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.