Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email messages not being sent from default account

I have 2 apple email accounts: the one associated with my main apple account and a 2nd that I use for family/friend/acquaintance emails only. This 2nd account is the email account I have chosen to be the default mail account on all my devices-iMac, iPad, iPhone. When I send an email from iMac or iPhone, that 2nd email is 'who' the email is from, however, the last few I've sent from my iPad shows the email being sent from my main account, even those the settings on the iPad says my default account is indeed my 2nd account. Why would this happen?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2nd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 6:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 7:28 AM

DJMc,

Thank you for clarifying.

Is your iPadOS up to date per the steps in Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

If the issue is still happening, we’d recommend following the steps in If you can’t send email on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

The title may seem like it doesn’t apply, but this particular issue might be resolved by the steps included.

Cheers!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2021 7:28 AM in response to DJMc

DJMc,

Thank you for clarifying.

Is your iPadOS up to date per the steps in Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch?

If the issue is still happening, we’d recommend following the steps in If you can’t send email on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

The title may seem like it doesn’t apply, but this particular issue might be resolved by the steps included.

Cheers!

Jun 9, 2021 8:40 AM in response to DJMc

Hello DJMc,

We see that your default mail account was not used to send the last few emails from your iPad.

We’d be happy to help!

The default mail account should be used, but it can be changed to another account in the "From" dropdown menu on the mail message.

Is the issue still happening or just for those few messages?

Have a great day.

Jun 9, 2021 3:30 PM in response to bjj321

bjj321

Yes, the problem still is occurring on my iPad. I check to see that my 2nd email is chosen as the default, but when I write a new email, the 'from' address is my 1st. This does not happen on my iPhone nor on my Mac, as those devices correctly indicate emails are from my 2nd, default account. I realize I can manually change the 'from' address on emails from my iPad, but this isn't something I should have to do.

Jun 10, 2021 10:53 AM in response to Chris_C1

Chris_C1,

iPad was already up to date v14.6. I was trying the link suggesting I view iPad via my finder from iMac incase there was something else I had missed. All that did was identify another problem: unable to open either iPad or iPhone from my desktop. This is a much greater problem than my iPad using a wrong email return address. Online search suggests this is a M1 chip issue. I guess I need to create a new discussion...

Email messages not being sent from default account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.