Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unauthorized use of camera and microphone

I noticed the green dot was on my phone when it was not supposed to be. The Pokémon go app was using my camera when it shouldn’t be. I tried restarting the app, but it didn’t stop. I restarted my phone and then saw an Orange dot for a short period, something was using my microphone. I reopened the Pokémon go app and it was not loading the Pokémon near me and was continuously loading something behind the scenes for an excessive amount of time. I restarted my phone again and noticed after a minute or two it felt a lot cooler to the touch than before. Any ideas about what is going on here would be healthful.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 9:26 AM

Hello artist.dean,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about that unexpected behavior with that app.

To verify, is that behavior still occurring?

If so, is your Phone all up-to-date? Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

How about the app? How to manually update apps on your Apple device

If needed, you can also use the steps from About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS to disable access to the camera and microphone for that particular app.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2021 9:26 AM in response to artist.dean

Hello artist.dean,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about that unexpected behavior with that app.

To verify, is that behavior still occurring?

If so, is your Phone all up-to-date? Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

How about the app? How to manually update apps on your Apple device

If needed, you can also use the steps from About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS to disable access to the camera and microphone for that particular app.

Take care.

Jun 10, 2021 9:56 PM in response to barberlives123

I simply noticed the camera and microphone problem this one time. This certainly dose not mean it has not happened before and I did not notice the camera being on while the game is idle and I am not actively playing it. To answer your other questions, my phone is always up to date and so is the app. The permissions on the phone only allow access to my camera when I want it to use the camera. It should not stay on when in idle non play. I am not certain the app is the cause of the malfunction... maybe this was an operating system malfunction... after all, the microphone was on for a few seconds with no apps running. I don't expect to get any illuminating answers soon as I seem to remember camera and microphone security breaches being patched in the past with iOS and other wifi/wireless devices. I am sure this is a rare occurrence, but it is unsettling when it happens.

Unauthorized use of camera and microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.