Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With update to iOS 14.6 Face Recognition has stopped working, WHY???? Seems to happen with every other update.

With update to iOS 14.6 Face Recognition has stopped working, WHY???? Seems to happen with every other update.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 7:20 AM

21 replies

Jun 26, 2021 9:46 AM in response to mario49

I’ve contacted the support after taking all steps without resolving anything, they was really nice, gentle and “helpful” but even after the mobile was returned back to initial settings as they told me to do, face ID doesn’t work at all again.

The problem arouse after downloading the software 16 and as I see not only for me.

Instead of fixing the software bug, they are making us crazy and loosing our time and nerves.

Jul 3, 2021 6:16 AM in response to StaceyJ1010

I’ve contacted support the 2nd time and checked the software that they told me is correct and working well. They don’t have any critical info about the topic buy I’m repeating them that lot of users have the same problem and that the software has a bug.

The only reaction after checking from their site my phone was again to take the phone to see if it’s about the hardware.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR PROBLEMS AS MUCH AS UOU CAN TO THE SUPPORT so they can see that many of us have the same issue with software 14.6

Jul 10, 2021 2:24 PM in response to willis256

If any apple engineers are reading this, my face ID stopped working entirely once I went to 14.6. Then, I went to the grocery store, used apple pay by double clicking the right hand button on my iphone 12 to pay for groceries. The face ID worked (it was already activated in settings) to allow access to my card and now it's working across all the apps that were dead before. Weird but perhaps this is a clue for you to issue an update to fix this issue. It's a real thing and very irritating when face ID is not working. I hope mine continues to work. Maybe accessing ApplePay is the fix/workaround until there's an update. Hope someone is listening!

Jul 12, 2021 5:08 AM in response to willis256

I experienced this same problem yesterday, even though I have had the update for a week or so. I tried every piece of advice before googling if maybe the update had caused it. Glad it is not just me. Everything seems to be working fine with my phone, including portrait mode but when I try to redo the face ID I get stuck in an endless loop of the phone telling me to move it higher or lower before finally telling me Face ID is not available at this time. I hope they have a fix soon.

Jul 14, 2021 3:58 PM in response to willis256

I have had the exact same issue since I updated my software.

I have restarted my phone multiple times and when I try to reset the FaceID recognition, it keeps telling me to 'position your face within the frame' and then 'you're out of the frame' when clearly I am not!

This is so frustrating! I used the faceID for alot of the apps I need for work as it saves me the hastle of constantly having to pick up my phone all the time.

Does anyone on the Apple Tech team have any solutions for us? Like this is a little bit ridiculous.

Jul 16, 2021 5:56 AM in response to miroslav93

I have posted this message several times in hopes someone from Apple Engineering is reading these posts. My Face ID stopped working entirely like others on this board. I gave up trying to fix it. Then, I used Apple Pay at the grocer store. The Face ID worked to authenticate the transaction per normal. Following this my Face ID worked across all apps. This was over a week ago. It is still working normally. I am using an Iphone 12 on 14.6. I hope Apple issues a patch/update to fix this bug. It's a hassle for a lot of people. Thank you.

Jul 18, 2021 11:20 PM in response to willis256

I spoke to a friend of mine who owns a repair shop. He said that the dot projector(one of the things in the chin that is responsible for Face ID) might be broken. A quick test to check if the dot projector has malfunctioned is to open camera, switch to portrait mode with the selfie camera, then if the camera app says "Move further away" and the effect's name(for example NATURAL LIGHT) stays gray instead of yellow this is a 100% sign that the dot projector is broken and the phone needs to be serviced.

With my iPhone 12 this is the case...The camera app also cannot detect my face and apply the Portrait mode filters.

[Edited by Moderator]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.