Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use power adapter 20w on my iphone 11 or should i use 5w as recommended, i'm just want to be sure and dont want to degrade my battery faster.

can I use power adapter 20w on my iphone 11 or should i use 5w as recommended, i'm just want to be sure and dont want to degrade my battery faster.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 9:30 AM

You can use the 20W (or larger including a 96W Ma power adapter).

See the following from Fast charge your iPhone - Apple Support

Fast charging works when you use an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable and one of these adapters:

• Apple 18W, 20W,2 29W, 30W, 61W, 87W, or 96W USB-C Power Adapter

I'm not sure where you saw that a 5W was recommended. The 20W is the main one currently sold for iPhones.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2021 9:30 AM in response to ahron97

You can use the 20W (or larger including a 96W Ma power adapter).

See the following from Fast charge your iPhone - Apple Support

Fast charging works when you use an Apple USB-C to Lightning cable and one of these adapters:

• Apple 18W, 20W,2 29W, 30W, 61W, 87W, or 96W USB-C Power Adapter

I'm not sure where you saw that a 5W was recommended. The 20W is the main one currently sold for iPhones.

Jun 9, 2021 9:46 AM in response to ahron97

From an engineering perspective less stress is generally better.

“How much better” always makes for a lively discussion which in which I’ll not engage here.

Certainly no harm will ever come from using an older 5W power adaptor.

While I personally have a full range of “18W to 97W” power adaptors; the bulk of my iPhone Xs Max charging is at night with a trusty 5W USB-A “icecube.” (it probably came in the w/ my iPhone 5)

However, on a “heavy use / power-sapping” day and when in need of a charge; I NEVER hesitate to use one of the more powerful adaptors.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.