Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Restoration to new MacBook

Here's my problem. The backup from my old MacBook is macOS 10.14.6 but my new MacBook is running 11.2, this is preventing the time machine restore on my new computer. Am I screwed or is there a way to make this happen?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 11:05 AM

The way to do that is to restore only your files and added Applications, and not MacOS itself.

The tool to do that is Setup Assistant on first run. If that has already gone by you can use its cousin Migration Assistant. the only difference is Migration Assistant will Add the users from your backup, leaving the newly-created User from initial setup unchanged.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2021 11:05 AM in response to vinnief13

The way to do that is to restore only your files and added Applications, and not MacOS itself.

The tool to do that is Setup Assistant on first run. If that has already gone by you can use its cousin Migration Assistant. the only difference is Migration Assistant will Add the users from your backup, leaving the newly-created User from initial setup unchanged.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Time Machine Restoration to new MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.