Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have too many duplicate photos in Photos on my mac. Can I easily, globally, search and delete duplicates?

Is there an easy or global method for deleting duplicate photos from Photos library?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 2:52 PM

Yes. You want an app that will identify the potential duplicates, put them in an album or mark them with a keyword for easy retrieval and deletion by you. You don't want one that does the deletion itself for obvious reasons. 

I've run tests on the these two apps with the following results and found them to be safe to use:

PowerPhotos - $29.95  

PowerPhotos is the iPhoto Library Manager version for Photos and is very powerful. Although more expensive I would recommend it as it has more capabilities than the others like the capability to merge Photos libraries or copy photos, both original and edited versions, along with their metadata between libraries.

PhotoSweeper - $9.99 - Demo version available.

PhotoSweeper compares bitmaps and/or histograms so it can detect duplicate images even if they have different file sizes, file names, image sizes and capture dates.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2021 2:52 PM in response to Dizee4

Yes. You want an app that will identify the potential duplicates, put them in an album or mark them with a keyword for easy retrieval and deletion by you. You don't want one that does the deletion itself for obvious reasons. 

I've run tests on the these two apps with the following results and found them to be safe to use:

PowerPhotos - $29.95  

PowerPhotos is the iPhoto Library Manager version for Photos and is very powerful. Although more expensive I would recommend it as it has more capabilities than the others like the capability to merge Photos libraries or copy photos, both original and edited versions, along with their metadata between libraries.

PhotoSweeper - $9.99 - Demo version available.

PhotoSweeper compares bitmaps and/or histograms so it can detect duplicate images even if they have different file sizes, file names, image sizes and capture dates.

I have too many duplicate photos in Photos on my mac. Can I easily, globally, search and delete duplicates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.