Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless vs. Lossless

So I've been enjoying Apple's new update to their Apple Music audio quality, and I am pretty familiar with the different classifications; that lossless differs from hi-res lossless, and that you need an external DAC for hi-res lossless. But I've been browsing through some of my music and I noticed that for some songs, the classification is Lossless, but for others it is Hi-Res Lossless. Does this mean that the songs marked with just Lossless don't support Apples Hi-Res lossless? Or is there another explanation for the difference in classification?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 6:05 PM

3 replies

Jun 11, 2021 4:27 PM in response to RoadRunnerSD

Apple Lossless is CD quality: 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz

Apple Hi-Res Lossless: 24 bit at 192 kHz

When playing a Lossless or Hi-res Lossless via Apple Music on a Mac, you need a DAC connected via USB that supports the lossless sample rates. Some speakers have built in DAC. I have Audioengine A2+ speakers which support up to 24 bit at 48 kHz.

If you don't have decent speakers and equipment, don't worry about lossless. You will likely not hear a difference.

This article goes into much more detail: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/05/apple-music-announces-spatial-audio-and-lossless-audio/.

BTW, Apple TV 4K (2 Gen) does not support Hi-Res Lossless. My Living room audio equipment can support it -- only if AT4K could.

Apple Music Hi-Res Lossless vs. Lossless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.