Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iOS 16.2 Gapless Playback

Is anyone else having issues with gapless playback on iOS 16.2 (I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max, if that's relevant). Every couple of songs in a gapless album, I'll get a moment of silence between tracks that's really annoying when the songs are supposed to flow smoothly into each other.

The issue was in 15.4 and also a few years back, so it's annoying that it keeps coming back.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Dec 15, 2022 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 12:19 PM

As the original poster mentioned, this is getting so old. This year the issue popped up in April then it was fixed with an update. Now in December the issue has popped up again. I am getting extremely frustrated with Apple and their developers. Pretty poor development and release cycles where a bug keeps getting introduced again. Poor QA and poor development procedures. Seems like developers cannot merge code correctly if they keep introducing a bug that was supposedly fixed. I'm talking from experience since I'm a senior software engineer with decades of experience. Usually when bugs keep coming back its because the developer had a merge conflict and was lazy and just fixed it with taking their version, while reverting code that was correct. Can Apple start looking at their software release process and stop bringing back old bugs?

Similar questions

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2022 12:19 PM in response to cbunag

As the original poster mentioned, this is getting so old. This year the issue popped up in April then it was fixed with an update. Now in December the issue has popped up again. I am getting extremely frustrated with Apple and their developers. Pretty poor development and release cycles where a bug keeps getting introduced again. Poor QA and poor development procedures. Seems like developers cannot merge code correctly if they keep introducing a bug that was supposedly fixed. I'm talking from experience since I'm a senior software engineer with decades of experience. Usually when bugs keep coming back its because the developer had a merge conflict and was lazy and just fixed it with taking their version, while reverting code that was correct. Can Apple start looking at their software release process and stop bringing back old bugs?

Dec 26, 2022 4:28 AM in response to cbunag

I can’t believe that we’re ending 2022 and Apple still haven’t provided a robust gapless playback to Apple Music. One iOS update will fix the bug and then another one comes along and breaks it again. It makes for such an annoying and unenjoyable listening experience. Given how much we pay in subscriptions, you’d hope that Apple developers could have found a solid fix by now and given it the attention it deserves.

Dec 25, 2022 10:01 PM in response to cbunag

I have had a tough day with this issue. I purchased a concert recording by one of my favorite artists and I thought there was a corrupt download as this issue was fixed after iOS 15.4...I had to buy the download again and I wasted money and time on this, today on Christmas. I am on an iPhone 12 Max.

As a fix, I am using Foobar 2000 and the playback of gapless recordings is flawless...it just has a wonky looking interface.

Jan 2, 2023 12:18 AM in response to cbunag

Yes just bought a new iPhone 14 512 GB for music and already hearing gaps between songs. Soooo frustrating! You would think for the money they charge for these supposed upgraded phones I was forced to upgrade, I’d be getting better technology. Had this issue before with my 256 GB iPod before around 15.4. Apple please fix this issue so I can enjoy listening to my music on your high priced device that doesn’t work properly.

Jan 17, 2023 1:44 PM in response to JackamusFL

Apple has become like a ****** hardware wholesaler of very expensive products. They don't test iOS updates before they release them and then have you wait for months before they fix a mistake they released a year before as well. And then they create this ****** forum where we can help each other fixing the errors their developers have created! Shame on Apple.

Jan 19, 2023 10:17 AM in response to cbunag

I am having the same issue and was actually relieved to hear that it's an iPhone software problem. For me, it affects work. As a fitness instructor (dance teachers will be in the same boat), that 1/2 beat of silence between every second or third song puts us 1/2 beat off in our choreography and makes for a stilted, much less professional class.

I'm frustrated that I have to hold my breath with every iPhone update to see if it will adversely affect my job!

Jan 19, 2023 11:25 AM in response to Fitnessgirl22-

This is by no means a solution, but a workaround I found rather effective for me: considering that you're not very likely to switch between tracks while the fitness class is in progress (otherwise you wouldn't need gapless playback), would importing a full-length mix as a single file instead of importing it "split" into tracks work for you?

I'm doing this for training mixes right now and, although not being optimal, it works.

Instead of ripping a CD with iTunes and then syncing it to the iPhone, I'm just ripping it with CDex (I use a very old version for that, I wouldn't advise anyone to use any of the recent ones), then adding the mp3 file to the iTunes library, and copying it manually onto the iPhone.

Still I'm hoping Apple get their stuff together and solve this issue (hopefully forever this time), but at least I have a workaround to exploit now.

iOS 16.2 Gapless Playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.