Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Library issues...

Since upgrading my system from iTunes to Apple TV my video library has mysteriously begun to vanish over time. My Apple purchases are still secure, but my older library of DVD tiles that I own has shrunk to about 1/3 of its original size... What's really strange is that I can browse through the titles using the App and everything looks OK on my Mac.

Where I caught this was when I tried to watch a movie in our family room Apple TV device and a particular title didn't show up... I returned to my Mac to make sure everything was OK and found it available on my computer... but when I tried to locate it on our family room Apple TV it was missing. I performed restarts of all our hardware and still had no luck. After checking everything again I found that the Apple TV app on my Mac was showing all the title work for the movies we owned, but most of the actual files for them were missing in the external directory. (this is what I determined to be causing the title mismatch on our Apple TV devices)

That's when I began browsing the external hard drive where our files are kept and found most of my library missing...

Luckily our entire library is backed up so we didn't loose any data, but for the life of me I don't know why this is happening?!?!?

The odd thing is - I could still play the movies on my computer - but not any other device! It appears that the software is trying to organize the movie files and slowly deleting certain files while reaching out to my second external backup directory for movie requests made while using my Mac. But when when we try to watch on another device 90% of the titles listed are gone and the Apple TV hardware either says there's a problem playing the file or the entire title is missing from the menu of available selections.

I've spoken to Apple Techs on three different occasions in which they were able to to help me re-import my collection but it seems that after several days the files go eventually go missing... Is there something I've missed or has anyone else found this to be an issue???

Thank in advance,

Chris

Hardware used:

OS Catalina

2013 iMac 27"

4TB LaCie External hard drive

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd Gen)

Apple TV (4th Gen)

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 2:32 PM

Follow up... conclusion:

I think I may have found out what was causing this behavior with the Apple TV application. When importing a movie library, the Apple TV application will prompt you at some point to let it 'manage' your files. If you allow this the program to do so, it will slowly over time pull the video files from their respective folders and place them in one location on your external hard drive.

In my case I have approximately 60 of 300 folders still showing in my original iTunes movie library folder which originally caused this thread to submitted. However when I got to digging a bit deeper into the archive I found an new "Movie" folder embedded therein containing all my missing movies... So, it appears all is well and the mystery of the missing movie titles wasn't as nefarious as I had first thought... I did have some disconnect issues where I had to point the software to a few missing files but other than that most everything is back to normal...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 2:32 PM in response to Talon325

Follow up... conclusion:

I think I may have found out what was causing this behavior with the Apple TV application. When importing a movie library, the Apple TV application will prompt you at some point to let it 'manage' your files. If you allow this the program to do so, it will slowly over time pull the video files from their respective folders and place them in one location on your external hard drive.

In my case I have approximately 60 of 300 folders still showing in my original iTunes movie library folder which originally caused this thread to submitted. However when I got to digging a bit deeper into the archive I found an new "Movie" folder embedded therein containing all my missing movies... So, it appears all is well and the mystery of the missing movie titles wasn't as nefarious as I had first thought... I did have some disconnect issues where I had to point the software to a few missing files but other than that most everything is back to normal...

Apple TV Library issues...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.