You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby Atmos or Lossless?

Do I have to choose between downloading music in Dolby Atmos or Lossless? Or do both formats download together?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 9:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 8:41 AM

I noticed the exact same thing, re-downloading with Dolby Atmos off and the lossless label appears.

To test further I took a look at album sizes in settings. Downloaded an album with Dolby Atmos off and it was 490.9MB with the lossless label appearing. Turning Dolby Atmos on and re-downloading the same album got a total size of 292.4MB.

So it appears that as of now you do have to choose between Lossless or Dolby Atmos. Really hoping this will get updated!

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 14, 2021 8:41 AM in response to ChaosHierarch

I noticed the exact same thing, re-downloading with Dolby Atmos off and the lossless label appears.

To test further I took a look at album sizes in settings. Downloaded an album with Dolby Atmos off and it was 490.9MB with the lossless label appearing. Turning Dolby Atmos on and re-downloading the same album got a total size of 292.4MB.

So it appears that as of now you do have to choose between Lossless or Dolby Atmos. Really hoping this will get updated!

Jun 10, 2021 8:10 AM in response to iar999

I’m glad you brought up those labels because that’s why I brought up this question. I noticed the Dolby Atmos label is there when I play a song off my phone speakers. When I plug my phone into my wired headphones or my car via a lighting USB cable, the Dolby Atmos label disappears as it should since those speakers are incompatible with Dolby Atmos but it doesn’t switch to the Lossless label. I re-downloaded those songs with the Dolby Atmos off and the Lossless label was there. So, do I have to choose one format over the other, or is there something I'm missing that allows for both, swapping between the two formats where ever they’re most appropriate?

Jun 10, 2021 8:42 AM in response to ChaosHierarch

Agree its a bit confusing! The whole lossless / atmos implementation has not been Apple's finest hour. Not spent enough time with all the variables yet to offer a definite answer, I thought that I had both options when downloading lossless and that the Atmos = Auto option meant that when using AirPods it automatically used atmos but when I used wired headphones via lightning/3.5mm adaptor it played lossless? I need to go back as I now have doubt!

The atmos/spacial audio was an interesting change, good for a full home cinema system but a bit of a gimmick for audio only, I prefer lossless through good headphones or speakers.

Jun 21, 2021 5:20 AM in response to ChaosHierarch

Just an FYI, Bluetooth doesn’t yet support streaming true lossless audio. So unless you have a special DAC adapter and use wired headphones that also support that high quality audio, you’re not going to experience lossless sound from Apple yet. Another half witted apples attempt to make us buy new versions of headphones from the ever so cheap company that continues to release extremely overpriced items with extremely under-capable components.

Dolby Atmos or Lossless?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.