Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My startup disk disappeared with the question mark and I cant reinstall mac

I restarted my iMac because it was really lagging out and I just wanted to reset everything. But once I did, my startup disk disappeared and I got the question mark folder. I went to Recovery mode and it said I had to fix it with Recovery Mode? That kind of confused me so I decided to reinstall Mac, as it wouldn't take to long to download all my applications and more. But I couldn't reinstall mac because there was no disk to install it on. So I'm in the middle of a giant loop and don't know what to do. Can you help me? Thank you!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 5:58 PM

Have you considered you may have experienced a hardware failure. If your iMac has an internal HD yours may have failed. At this point it may be wise to take it to Apple Authorized Service Provider in your general area to be professionally diagnosed.

If it is a 21.5" model as your signature indicates there is an excellent chance it is a failed HD.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2021 5:58 PM in response to User_Taken_Not0

Have you considered you may have experienced a hardware failure. If your iMac has an internal HD yours may have failed. At this point it may be wise to take it to Apple Authorized Service Provider in your general area to be professionally diagnosed.

If it is a 21.5" model as your signature indicates there is an excellent chance it is a failed HD.

Jun 10, 2021 8:13 PM in response to User_Taken_Not0

Your welcome and good luck. If I am correct, rather than them replacing the HD just take it back and buy yourself and external SSD and you will:

• Have much faster computer
  • Save a some cash

Another option is to simply do nothing and replace it with a new 24" M1 iMac which would be a huge upgrade. You can use the old computer Time Machine External Hard Disk to restore your data to the new machine.

My startup disk disappeared with the question mark and I cant reinstall mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.