Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac reinstall help

MAC GENIUS’ NEEDED

Bought a refurbished Mac off amazon. Went to turn on and was able to put my info in. After running what seemed to be the last start up screen a flashing ‘question mark’ folder appeared.

Looking into that I tried the ‘command r’ method and went to reinstall the OS. However there was no disk for me to choose to start it up.

I then went into the utility disk panel and found 1 disk that is all greyed out (tried to erase). Still no luck.

I feel like I’m running out of options and if anyone could shed some clarity that would be amazing. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2020 9:07 AM

Within Disk Utility click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Erase the drive as GUID partition and either APFS (top option) for macOS 10.14+ or as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) for macOS 10.13 or earlier.

If you don't see the physical drive after selecting "Show All Devices" within Disk Utility, then the drive has most likely failed.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2020 9:07 AM in response to Nizzynew

Within Disk Utility click on "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Erase the drive as GUID partition and either APFS (top option) for macOS 10.14+ or as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) for macOS 10.13 or earlier.

If you don't see the physical drive after selecting "Show All Devices" within Disk Utility, then the drive has most likely failed.

Mac reinstall help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.