Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple track pad on an iMac with OS.13.6

My track pad has been working flawlessly for the last couple of years. All of a sudden it became too sensitive and without even touching it it was moving, selecting and deleting things on my desktop. How do I reboot it or control it? I have already pulled out the batteries twice and restarted the computer multiple times. I am currently moving the cursor with a Wacom stylus using a graphics tablet.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 4:11 PM

Don't have a Trackpad but you might try this 1st line "universal" fix:

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to nearly twice as long as a normal boot as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2021 4:11 PM in response to tburgard

Don't have a Trackpad but you might try this 1st line "universal" fix:

Boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to nearly twice as long as a normal boot as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Jun 11, 2021 5:49 PM in response to tburgard

without even touching it it was moving

The only thing I can think of is that the trackpad was exposed to extreme heat. Has anything like that happened? Was it left in a car on a summer days? Left in the sun next to a window?

I bought mine when they first came out about 2010 and the only issue I've had is that it does an imitation of "Hungry Hippo" with AA batteries, running down fast even when not used. Of course, I cannot remember to turn it off when it is not in use 🥴

Apple track pad on an iMac with OS.13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.