Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mack book become very sluggish after an hour of video chat

I recently noticed that, my Mac Book pro becomes very sluggish after 45 minute of video meeting, and finally, it stopped responding. I ended up rebooting to reconnect the video chat. This was using Zoom.

Next time I had a video chat, I closed most of the applications, just to avoid the problem. This time my meeting was in a (chrome)browser video(something custom) after 45 minute, I again started to noticed the sluggishness, I immediately closed the Xcode, which was the only other app running except my chrome browser, and thus I was able to avoid the problem.

This problem started happening very recently, In the past I have had 3-4 hours of video meeting without any problem. I currently Have MacOS Big Sur 11.4. I am wondering what is going on, how to avoid this problem? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 3:02 PM

If this is ONLY happening when an external monitor is connected then it is worth looking at the external monitor's display settings. If it happens even when an external monitor is not used then we are back to the MacBook Pro.

If you do not see any improvement after the Zoom update AND this issue occurs even when the internal display is used then consider putting the MacBook Pro in ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS without deleting any data.

Axel F.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2021 3:02 PM in response to webdevcda

If this is ONLY happening when an external monitor is connected then it is worth looking at the external monitor's display settings. If it happens even when an external monitor is not used then we are back to the MacBook Pro.

If you do not see any improvement after the Zoom update AND this issue occurs even when the internal display is used then consider putting the MacBook Pro in ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and reinstall the macOS without deleting any data.

Axel F.

Jun 12, 2021 12:18 PM in response to Axel Foley

Thanks for suggestion,

I have updated the Zoom, I will try to test it by creating a dummy zoom meeting. Though I also wanted to pointed out that, it happened in another Video call which was not Zoom. Last two time when I noticed this sluggishness, I had connected an external monitor. Is it possible that, external monitor can be an issue? I read in one of the post that external monitor can stress the GPU.

Mack book become very sluggish after an hour of video chat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.