Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting an SD card reader to my ipad2020

I am trying to attach my camera SDcard reader via a lightning cable to my Apple IPad 2020. I keep getting the message that ‘This accessory requires too much power’.

my iPad is fully charged.

I have tried other card readers without success. My camera is an Canon EOS 550D & Canon have told me there is no possibility of a link there.

Can anyone advise please.

Thank you…..

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 3:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2021 4:47 AM in response to QueenFrann

A much better and more flexible option, that provides opportunity to simultaneously connect both your Power Adapter and a USB Card Card reader, is the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple

The other Apple USB Adapter is only USB 2.0. If it works at all, as high power USB devices are not supported, data transfer will be much slower.

Jun 12, 2021 6:38 AM in response to QueenFrann

The much older model USB Camera Adapter is very limited in its capabilities. iPad alone cannot provide sufficient power for most USB accessories - such as USB Thumb Drives and Card Readers - and is limited to USB 2.0 data speeds. When connected to a USB device, such as a battery operated camera, the Camera Adapter only has to cope with transferring data.

If connecting a USB device that does not have its own source of power, such as a Card Reader and SD Card, these will draw power from the iPad - whose ability to provide power is very limited.

When using the recommended Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter, the adapter is powered by the iPad Power Adapter - not the iPad. In addition to solving the power issue, you benefit from much higher speed data transfer. As such, when copying files/pictures from your SD Card, the transfer occurs in a fraction of the time. In practical terms, USB3 can transfer data 5-10 times faster than USB 2.0.

For maximum compatibility and flexibility, you need the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

You do not want the older (USB 2.0) Lightning to USB Camera Adapter:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MD821ZM/A

If you just want an SD Card Reader - and forgo the flexibility of USB - you might choose the most recent version of Apple’s Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader:

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MJYT2ZM/A

Jun 12, 2021 3:40 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Hi. I don’t think My ipad 2020 is an iPad Pro?

But I’m an Apple newbie so I will try this. Thank you.😁

edit. I looked at the link to the USB-C to SD card reader & I am using one of these. Bought by my husband from eBay it says Apple compatible and has good reviews?

Should I secretly buy the Apple product? My husband is anti Apple, but I love my iPad.

Connecting an SD card reader to my ipad2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.