Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac App uploads every photo I open on my desktop

When I first used Photos App I turned of "copy items to library" so that the program would not upload every photo I opened on my desk top. That feature worked right along. It suddenly stopped working. The App uploads every photo I open on my desktop. I went back into Photos preferences, unchecked the option for uploading. I closed the app, restarted my computer, but it is still uploading photos from the desktop.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 10:56 AM

I just don't want every photo I open on the desktop to go to Photos. That seems like a ridiculous default.

This may be a problem of your FInder settings.

As a test:

• Select a photo in the Finder and open the Info for the photo with the keyboard shortcut ⌘i.
  • Near the bottom of the Info for the photo is an entry "Open with". This entry should be showing "Preview" and not "Photos".
  • If the "Open with" is set to "Photos" for an image of some image type, for example "GIF" or "JPEG", or "PNG", change this to "Preview" by clicking the pop-up menu in "Open With".
  • After changing the "Open With" entry for a file type, click the "Change All" button. Any new item of the same filetype you are now opening should open in Preview or another application of your choice and no longer in Photos.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2021 10:56 AM in response to deflumeri

I just don't want every photo I open on the desktop to go to Photos. That seems like a ridiculous default.

This may be a problem of your FInder settings.

As a test:

• Select a photo in the Finder and open the Info for the photo with the keyboard shortcut ⌘i.
  • Near the bottom of the Info for the photo is an entry "Open with". This entry should be showing "Preview" and not "Photos".
  • If the "Open with" is set to "Photos" for an image of some image type, for example "GIF" or "JPEG", or "PNG", change this to "Preview" by clicking the pop-up menu in "Open With".
  • After changing the "Open With" entry for a file type, click the "Change All" button. Any new item of the same filetype you are now opening should open in Preview or another application of your choice and no longer in Photos.

Jun 12, 2021 8:09 AM in response to deflumeri

What has happened, before it stopped working? Did you just install a system upgrade? Referenced photos (turning off "copy items to library") are no longer working as before since the upgrade to macOS 10.15.1, and it has not yet been fixed in the newer system versions.

If you have been using referenced items just to avoid the upload to iCloud Photos, I would split the library -keep a full library with all photos, copied into the library as an archive of all your photos, and make your System Photos Library smaller, with just the photos you want in iCloud and on all your devices.

Jun 12, 2021 8:29 AM in response to léonie

I have OS 10.15.7. I think I did recently allow for this upgrade. I am not familiar with the term "referenced items". If that pertains to a picture I have downloaded off the internet, to my desktop, as one example of such, then yes. I do not want that photo automatically uploaded to Photos app when I just open the photo on the desktop. Also I do not want all of my photos going to the cloud for storage maximum reasons. Maybe I am not completely understanding your answer. I just don't want every photo I open on the desktop to go to Photos. That seems like a ridiculous default.

Mac App uploads every photo I open on my desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.