Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes on a new computer

I have a MacBook Pro from the year 2013 I think… I am considering buying a new one. When I register it and access my iTunes account I need to add a device in order to retrieve all of my movies. Do I need to add the device before registering it, or can I add it afterwards?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 6:00 PM

akindword4u,

We appreciate those additional details. Newer versions of macOS no longer use iTunes. This has more information:

What happened to iTunes?

Once you get your new computer, you would sign in to the Apple TV app to redownload purchased TV shows and movies. This walks you through the steps:

Redownload TV shows and movies in the Apple TV app

You do not need to add a device to anything, once you sign in with your Apple ID and password you will be able to see and download all your previous purchases.

Take care!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2021 6:00 PM in response to akindword4u

akindword4u,

We appreciate those additional details. Newer versions of macOS no longer use iTunes. This has more information:

What happened to iTunes?

Once you get your new computer, you would sign in to the Apple TV app to redownload purchased TV shows and movies. This walks you through the steps:

Redownload TV shows and movies in the Apple TV app

You do not need to add a device to anything, once you sign in with your Apple ID and password you will be able to see and download all your previous purchases.

Take care!

Jun 13, 2021 11:47 AM in response to akindword4u

Hi there akindword4u,

We understand you are having issues redownloading your purchased movies in iTunes. We’d be glad to assist. 

To start, follow the steps outlined here to see if they help:

If there's an issue when you redownload apps, movies, or other content from Apple

If this continues after reviewing that, please provide more details on what happens when you try to access your purchased movies and any error messages you are receiving. 

Cheers!

iTunes on a new computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.