Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5.1 not working when audio set to auto, atmos. Have to change audio to 5.1 to work correctly.

I know there are lots of topics on this but wanted to refresh to see if anyone has a fix yet. I have Sonos arc connected to eARC port of my LG. The audio formatting on my appleTV 4K is “auto, Dolby atmos”. If audio is in Dolby atmos everything is great. If the audio is 5.1 it is output as stereo PCM. I have to manually change the audio settings of appleTV to 5.1 for the audio to output correctly. Any fixes for this yet? Is it an appleTV issue, Sonos issue, or both?

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 3:24 AM

Note that ‘Auto’ is intended to output PCM Multichannel (up to 7.1). PCM does not indicate stereo.

Some source streams may be stereo though, and then that will be output as stereo.

For Home Sharing content there may be other issues at play, which wouldn’t apply to online streaming services.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2021 3:24 AM in response to Jacketsfan33

Note that ‘Auto’ is intended to output PCM Multichannel (up to 7.1). PCM does not indicate stereo.

Some source streams may be stereo though, and then that will be output as stereo.

For Home Sharing content there may be other issues at play, which wouldn’t apply to online streaming services.

Aug 14, 2021 2:25 AM in response to Appleproductuserr

Same problem here. Apple TV 4K connected to TV (Panasonic HZ1000) and TV to av receiver via HDMI (ARC) and the output is always stereo PCM if audio format is set to ‘auto’. If Apple TV is connected to av it works correctly. The problem is that my av receiver doesn’t support 4K so I have to connect Apple TV to Tv and force 5.1 output. I hope Apple will fix this bug!

5.1 not working when audio set to auto, atmos. Have to change audio to 5.1 to work correctly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.