Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K HDR issues on Samsung TV

There are several older threads about this issue here, as well as a lengthy one on Reddit, but the solutions are varied, yet no one seems to be able to explain whether they originate from a software glitch on the Apple TV device or not. In brief: my Apple TV 4K has been working great for a few months with a Samsung 4K TV (a TU8000 model) until one day, the colors of everything on the Apple TV main screen and menus appeared greyed out/bluish/washed out. Unplugging the HDMI cable, changing the HDMI cable, changing the HDMI port on the TV, performing a reset of the Apple TV 4K, etc. - none of those worked. Disabling the HDR video format on the Apple TV 4K and enabling 4K SDR instead resulted in a mix of proper and incorrect colors - the menus looked good enough, but when streaming anything on any app (I tried Netflix, Paramount Plus, etc.), the greys and whites were incorrect, etc.

What fixed the issue in my case was resetting the picture settings of my Samsung TV and then reenabling 4K HDR video format from the settings of the Apple TV 4K. My TV, by the way, supports HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.

My question is: could someone from Apple explain why this keeps happening? There are older threads about this problem from 5-6 years ago, so this hasn't been fixed yet. And, while, in my case, it seems that there was some issue between the TV picture settings and the Apple TV 4K video format, this issue popped out of nowhere, without me changing anything on either the TV or the Apple TV 4K settings.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2023 7:50 AM

I have a similar issue with the native Netflix app mainly on a Samsung Q70R. Colors would look washed out and way off. Then eventually the picture would turn into something like almost like looking at an infrared camera. I would have to unlplug the TV and it would be fine for a while. Ultimately had to get the board replaced. Was fixed for a while and eventually started doing the same thing again. It's not my main TV anymore but it still happens sometimes. I suspect it's a TV issue and not your Apple TV.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2023 7:50 AM in response to Noragami2012

I have a similar issue with the native Netflix app mainly on a Samsung Q70R. Colors would look washed out and way off. Then eventually the picture would turn into something like almost like looking at an infrared camera. I would have to unlplug the TV and it would be fine for a while. Ultimately had to get the board replaced. Was fixed for a while and eventually started doing the same thing again. It's not my main TV anymore but it still happens sometimes. I suspect it's a TV issue and not your Apple TV.

Dec 2, 2022 8:37 AM in response to Noragami2012

New Apple TV. TU-700D, same issue - washed out colors when set to HDR.

I reset picture settings to normal then went to Settings/General/External Device Manager

and set Game mode to On (not Auto), input signal plus is enabled for the hdmi port where my AppleTV is directly connected over a 10 foot HDMI 4k, 120Hz cable and Game HDMI is enabled.

I don’t have a gaming device, just the Apple TV. But these settings allow me to set Apple TV to do 4K HDR without the Apple TV screens looking washed out all the time.

Dec 11, 2022 1:50 AM in response to VA_guy

Hi all, from my side: New Apple TV 4K hdr10+ with Samsung The Frame 2022, belkin hdmi uhd cable. Pink screen sometimes when I need to restart the Apple TV, cause I got a lot of wifi issues while everything is good with my home network! Need to unplug the plug the hdmi cable to have a fine restored solution. Bringing back the Apple TV to day at the Apple Store.

Oct 31, 2022 7:24 PM in response to Noragami2012

my Samsung TV … My TV, by the way, supports HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.

I’m pretty sure no Samsung TV supports Dolby Vision. It’s what they’re known for.

The a-few-months-old model Apple TV 4K will not support HDR10+ (but does support HDR10).

The correct setting on Apple TV is then ‘HDR’, not ‘Dolby Vision’.

Do you connect the Apple TV box directly to the TV, or is another device in between (receiver, soundbar)?

Verify that the HDMI port on the TV (to which the Apple TV box is connected), is configured for high bandwidth use (Input Signal Plus).

Oct 31, 2022 7:44 PM in response to Urquhart1244

It is connected directly to the TV and yes - the HDMI port is configured for high bandwith use (just checked it through the External Device Manager settings of the Samsung TV). I also ran diagnostics from the Apple TV settings and the HDMI connection checks out as "good". The cable itself is excellent (2.1, 48 Gbps). As I said in my original post, changing the HDMI port and the HDMI cable did not fix the issue.

The video setting on the Apple TV 4K has always been "4K-HDR".

Nov 11, 2022 9:29 AM in response to Noragami2012

Same issues with me. I tried new cables, resetting tv video settings, connecting directly to tv, and I still see greyed out “lifeless” colors in HD. I also have a 65” tv UN65H7150.

I chatted with Apple support and they do see this thread but weren’t able to figure out the issue.

they said I could return the until to the store and see if it’s a unit issue (which I doubt).

Clearly there is an issue here but it didn’t feel like there is an Apple resolution in play.

if more people complain about this issue maybe we will get somewhere.

Dec 17, 2022 9:09 AM in response to Noragami2012

Here same problem on a 2016 Samsung UHD/4K television 49KS8000. It started I think after the TVOS16.1 update. Today with support from Apple tried all the settings. No back from 4K HDR to 4K SDR. On 4K HDR color intensity/contrast falls back. Picture seems vague. Looks like I need glasses to watch football. Footage on Samsung apps much better.

Hope Apple comes with a solution, otherwise I'll request to change it to the 2022 version.

Jan 9, 2023 10:22 AM in response to Noragami2012

Same exact issue with me. Watched streaming content via my AppleTV 4K box last night. Woke up this morning and all colors off just as stated above. I did absolutely nothing on my end to cause the issue. I have high speed HDMI cables. Great internet connection. I even tried my older AppleTV and same issue. I know it's something to do with the Apple TV box and the television as using the television by itself the colors are displayed correctly. The resolution that worked with OP did not work for me. I may try it again laster on.

Jan 16, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Nick_grnr81

As one who usually complains, I have had none of these problems. I bought a 2022 Samsung 65” 4k “The Frame” Tv on Sept. I also bought a newer Sonos sound bar, the Arc. I use the original Apple 4k Tv, which now after upgrade has HDR10 & Atmos Everything is plugged in to APC 1500 Back-Ups.

HDMI and e-arc cables supplied by Samsung and Sonos. I do have a 10 yr old Sony Blu-Ray, with old cables and it looks as good as it can.

i would try to isolate problem by using another streamer to compare. Amazon and Roko are cheap and Amazon has good return policy (I’d try their refurbished stock).

Audio / Video are as good as it can be, no video or audio problems BUT Apple and any other device dot play well with the ******, way out of date Samsung webtv interface.

Good luck

Apple TV 4K HDR issues on Samsung TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.