Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple TV app pixelated on Sony Bravia Android Tv

I can’t play the Apple TV app on my Bravia tv. The picture becomes very pixelated/unwatchable. No issues with internet, all other streaming apps work fine. One work around has been to limit to SD but still some pixelation occurs. Have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling app, still occurs. Any thoughts?

BRAVIA4KGBATV3,

Posted on Dec 25, 2022 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 8:33 AM

I think I've found the fix. It seems to be an issue with the Android TV software in the Sony Bravia TV. I had my TV set to Update Automatically, but it seems that wasn't really the case. You have to manually update the Android TV software by going to the TV's home screen, Settings, Device Settings, About, System Update, Update Manually. After doing that, I can finally watch Apple TV+ with a 4K stream without glitches.

65 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 8:33 AM in response to Joe_888

I think I've found the fix. It seems to be an issue with the Android TV software in the Sony Bravia TV. I had my TV set to Update Automatically, but it seems that wasn't really the case. You have to manually update the Android TV software by going to the TV's home screen, Settings, Device Settings, About, System Update, Update Manually. After doing that, I can finally watch Apple TV+ with a 4K stream without glitches.

Jan 14, 2023 9:42 AM in response to nirukshi

Yeah, that’s not a fix. That’s lowering the video quality. I have a 4K TV that works with every other app and streaming service on it in 4K with zero problems. Apple TV+ is a pixelated mess in HD, no matter what movie I play. I sell and install AV systems and Sony TVs. I have hardwired gigabit Ethernet, and 300Mb Comcast Business bandwidth. There should be no buffering or steaming issues. This is a MAJOR problem with the Apple TV app

Dec 26, 2022 1:45 AM in response to Joe_888

i think I found a way to fix it.

goto you Apple TV settings - limit play back to SD make sure this is on. This actually fixed the pixelled movie streaming that on Apple TV had the issue with. I turned the tv on and off, cleared cache on all the apps on my Sony Bravia, restarted the router as well which didn’t fix it. I also turned off the Share Apple TV app analytics as well. Hope this helps

Mar 26, 2023 10:31 PM in response to bluecam

I had trouble at first finding how to force the relevant software update. My Sony Bravia (model KD65A1, purchased March 2018)is a Google one and last year I could not even install the Apple TV app. It wasn't offered in the Google store. Then in January this year I discovered it was now available and so installed it to be able to watch Bad Sisters. When it was unwatchable I, I searched for help and stumbled upon this thread, and by switching to SD only was at least able to watch the series with minimal picture problems.

I thought my TV was set to automatic software updates, so when I checked last week to see if problems had been resolved by an update (as other writers had found) and discovered they weren't, I was puzzled.

Instructions on how to locate software update controls did not apply to my TV model so went exploring and finally found the answer. Might help others.

Go to Home Screen

Go to Apps

Go to Help

Go to System Software Update

Select System Update - "check for update and install"

As soon as this was done I checked Apple TV and everything was perfect in HD - finally!

Looks like the issue might have stemmed from Apple/Google compatibility issues perhaps. And in future I will check for software updates manually rather than assuming Sony will supply them automatically.

Jan 22, 2023 3:32 AM in response to nirukshi

Thanks for that tip. Tried streaming Bad Sisters tonight. First time user of the Apple TV app. We have a Sony Bravia 4K. Picture was totally pixelated and unwatchable. Never had problems with Netflix, Stan or when streaming Foxtel or free streaming apps. Took your advice and adjusted Apple app to play SD and able to watch entire episode with only one very small blip for a few seconds. Ok for this show but won’t be happy to watch HD or UHD movies on Apple if this is the only fix!

Installed the app today having discovered it was now available in the Google store. Couldn’t find it a few months ago when I first looked.

Aug 25, 2023 2:57 PM in response to Joe_888

After trying a few times to update the system software through the internal menu on the TV (Home>Settings>Device Preferences>About>System Software Updates>Software Update), I found the most recent version of the software on the Sony website using my model and “current version of software”. I downloaded it to a USB on my laptop and followed the instructions on the Sony website and uploaded the software via the USB on the TV. Now my TV is up to date and the pixelation is gone. If you want to use the USB method make sure that you follow the instruction to make sure you don’t corrupt the software on the TV. The update took between 15 and 20 minutes.

Feb 18, 2023 3:05 PM in response to Joe_888

This is happening to me too on a Sony TV. Even with the SD workaround, the pixellation makes stuff unwatchable. I have several other streaming services working without a problem so there is nothing wrong with my set-up. This is indeed a major and embarrassing problem with Apple TV. I am surprised there isn't more about this on the Internet.

Feb 19, 2023 1:43 AM in response to Blergen

Actually. thinking about this again -pixellated is probably the wrong word because that just implies a drop in picture quality but a discernable picture still remains. This problem is more like parts of the picture turning to random noise. It looks almost like a screen refresh/stream compression problem because the messed up part (which could be say the bottom half of the screen) will stay messed up until a movie scene changes and an entire picture refresh is forced. Not a very technical description but I am trying to say that this problem makes AppleTV unwatchable. I am currently on a free trial, so I won't be paying for AppleTV at the end of the trial period.

Jun 29, 2023 8:08 AM in response to coreyoreo

I was wrong. The firmware update WILL solve all problems. However, you do have to FORCE an update because just following the prompts and going through the process does not always result in a complete update. You have to get to the point where the message comes on the screen announcing a successful update and indicating it will be applied once the set is turned off. Otherwise you didn’t get an update.

Apple TV app pixelated on Sony Bravia Android Tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.