Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone unlock with mask

One thing that I could not understand is, if Apple Watch series 1 is good enough to unlock MacBook on BigSur, why is it not good enough to unlock iPhone 12 on IOS 14.5?

Can anyone explain why is that the case? Is anyone else frustrated like I am. Apple just want us to buy new hardware for such a simple feature so that they can make more money.

iPhone 12

Posted on Jun 12, 2021 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 4:54 AM

Only watchOS version 7.4 and higher has the capability to unlock an iOS device with FaceID. Not even watchOS 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2, 7.0.3, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.3.1,7.3.2, 7.3.3

Watch Series 1 and 2 cannot be updated to watchOS 7 or later.

2 replies

Jun 13, 2021 11:29 PM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks SravanKrA! I understood your software feature explanation but my question still remains. Let me rephrase it:

If Apple Watch series 1 is good enough to unlock MacBook on BigSur, why is it not good enough to unlock iPhone 12 on IOS 14.5? Ie. Why can the support not be added on previous watch OS just like apple does security updates. The watch series 1 is clearly capable since it still unlocks macs.

Apple just wants us to move to newer hardware for such a simple feature, especially in these Covid times when everyone wears a mask and faceid becomes a nuisance.

Iphone unlock with mask

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.