Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download lossless ALAC file from Apple Music

I have an Apple Music Subscription on my MacBook Air (M1). Apple now offers its whole catalogue in lossless quality. I have purchased an album and it downloaded in m4a instead of alas.

Do I need to change any setting to get my download in alas (lossless)?

thanks for any pointers

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 6:25 AM

Look at Music > Preferences > Playback and the Audio Quality section. You can enable Lossless audio and set your options for streaming and downloads. In my tests so far it seems that regardless of my choices I get an HLS package that is the same size each time and presumably contains the same track in the different available resolutions. Note this is downloaded into the Apple Music folder in the media folder. You're not getting an unlocked Apple Lossless version of past purchases or matched tracks.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2021 6:25 AM in response to rudolffischer

Look at Music > Preferences > Playback and the Audio Quality section. You can enable Lossless audio and set your options for streaming and downloads. In my tests so far it seems that regardless of my choices I get an HLS package that is the same size each time and presumably contains the same track in the different available resolutions. Note this is downloaded into the Apple Music folder in the media folder. You're not getting an unlocked Apple Lossless version of past purchases or matched tracks.

tt2

Jun 13, 2021 1:31 PM in response to rudolffischer

rudolffischer wrote:

Another question. Does getting HLS packages mean, I can only use the downloads within the Apple Music ecosystem.

I'm pretty sure it does. From About lossless audio in Apple Music - Apple Support:

Can I redownload my iTunes purchases in lossless?

If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can redownload music in lossless only from the Apple Music catalog.

tt2

Jun 14, 2021 7:31 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi Steve,

A few observations.

1. Matched tracks - if download removed you can redownload as HLS into Apple folder. The file size are different for each track. I have been able to confirm that that download of Tangerine Dreams "The Angel of the West Wing" file sizes are identical to my ALAC ripped CD .
  2. This is the same for Purchased albums
  3. Bit hit and miss though. Some tracks but not all are converted. I even have tracks that tell me are lossless but only play for 14 Secs
  4. Play count not working even if track downloaded

Using iMac and playing through internal speakers

Jim

Jun 13, 2021 7:00 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks @turingtest2

This answers my question in part.

I have enabled Lossless Audio and then redownloaded the album in question. However I am still getting the m4a (lossy) version. Is this because I purchased the album prior to enabling lossless (which seems illogical, as I own the music and apple claims to have enabled lossless for the whole library without any exclusions).

Another question. Does getting HLS packages mean, I can only use the downloads within the Apple Music ecosystem. My main playback environment is jRiver Media Center.

Download lossless ALAC file from Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.