You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notification sounds play when in "Do Not Disturb" mode

Hello, when I put my laptop (Apple M1) on "Do Not Disturb" mode, notification banners do not show up, but notification sounds continue to play. This is extremely annoying in virtual meetings where I need the sound from my computer, but I do not want my colleagues to hear all of the notifications coming in to my laptop. Notification sounds are coming from iMessage, Slack, Whatsapp, Chrome, Google Calendar, Skype, etc. Since the sounds still come from iMessage, it seems to be a general bug, not anything related to other specific apps. Is this a known problem, or was this the intention of the software in Big Sur?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 13, 2021 12:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 8:22 AM

Hi brbo, thank you for your response. However, the sounds did NOT play in "Do Not Disturb" mode with my old MacBook Pro (approx 2014) and Catalina. So this is not a problem of being in the early days. Also it seems like it is a VERY important feature to shut off all notifications on your laptop. For example, people use their laptops to give important presentations, have meetings with colleagues, etc. It is extremely annoying with everyone's notification sounds going off all of the time.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 14, 2021 8:22 AM in response to brbo

Hi brbo, thank you for your response. However, the sounds did NOT play in "Do Not Disturb" mode with my old MacBook Pro (approx 2014) and Catalina. So this is not a problem of being in the early days. Also it seems like it is a VERY important feature to shut off all notifications on your laptop. For example, people use their laptops to give important presentations, have meetings with colleagues, etc. It is extremely annoying with everyone's notification sounds going off all of the time.

Jun 13, 2021 10:42 PM in response to lewnar_eclipse

Hi lewnar_eclipse,

Welcome to the Apple Community, where some of us do our best to help each other :)

Seems that in each app where we have set a sound to play when messages etc arrive., that sound will still play when we are in virtual meetings.

This seems quite separate to Notifications where we can choose to use them, not use them, or use "Do Not Disturb" with them.

So we may be able to set some or all of the"interfering" apps to not play a sound when messages arrive, (ie choose "None" in Settings) but allow notifications which we can control for virtual meetings.

Perhaps this suggestion is not ideal, but apps are improving and being upgraded all the time, (is still "early days".).

We can always send feedback to Apple, if we want to see changes:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Cheers :)

Notification sounds play when in "Do Not Disturb" mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.