Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Files from an iMac that had a reset.

How can you restore (all) files that have been erased on a Mac that had a factory reset without Time Machine or any other drives?

Hi. I had a crisis with my iMac. I reset it and want to restore my files. I had to reset it because there was no way to get out of the frozen restart screen.

I do have a backup drive, but my drive didn't completely store all the files, and lost my important (big) files. The files are really important. The drive just kept my ZIP files.

I still think there's a way to dig out all the lost files in the hard drive. If you know how, please tell me. Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 2:18 PM

Basically you cannot. You may have some data files stored in iCloud however if you never turned on iCloud then your all of stuff is gone. There are data recovery services available however be prepared to spend north of 5 figures to recover your data.

This is EXACTLY why a strong backup plan is not something you should do it's something that MUST be done.

In your case the fire has already burned down the barn and you are asking about the horses that were inside.

Sorry to tell you exactly what you did not want to hear, many experienced users have learned the hard way too why current backups are critical so don't feel alone.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2021 2:18 PM in response to BinLe713

Basically you cannot. You may have some data files stored in iCloud however if you never turned on iCloud then your all of stuff is gone. There are data recovery services available however be prepared to spend north of 5 figures to recover your data.

This is EXACTLY why a strong backup plan is not something you should do it's something that MUST be done.

In your case the fire has already burned down the barn and you are asking about the horses that were inside.

Sorry to tell you exactly what you did not want to hear, many experienced users have learned the hard way too why current backups are critical so don't feel alone.

Restoring Files from an iMac that had a reset.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.