Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2008 aluminium macbook won't upgrade to el capitan

I have a late 2008 macbook which I've checked numerous times that it supports El Capitan, but every time I download it and install it everything seems successful, but I check the specs and it's still on Yosemite.

Can anybody help?

MacBook

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 4:33 PM

The macOS 10.11 El Capitan installer is a bit more complicated. First the installer downloads outside of the App Store in a .dmg file. After mounting the downloaded .dmg file you are presented with an "installer" app in a .pkg file which only extracts the real installer to the Applications folder. After this finishes you need to launch the real installer from the Applications folder. It should be called something like "Install macOS El Capitan".

This Apple article includes links to download macOS along with instructions on how to extract & use the macOS El Capitan installer as well as option instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS just in case something goes wrong.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2021 4:33 PM in response to Nightwingvyse

The macOS 10.11 El Capitan installer is a bit more complicated. First the installer downloads outside of the App Store in a .dmg file. After mounting the downloaded .dmg file you are presented with an "installer" app in a .pkg file which only extracts the real installer to the Applications folder. After this finishes you need to launch the real installer from the Applications folder. It should be called something like "Install macOS El Capitan".

This Apple article includes links to download macOS along with instructions on how to extract & use the macOS El Capitan installer as well as option instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS just in case something goes wrong.

Late 2008 aluminium macbook won't upgrade to el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.