Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How far back does "Update Projects and Events" go?

I am resurrecting an ancient hard drive that had all my iMovie projects - probably made with iMovie 6. When I run Update Project and Events it says that there are no projects found.

The icon for the file folder indicates that *something* recognizes it as an iMovie project, but iMovie ignores it.

What are my options here?

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2021 8:56 PM

This is what the icon of an iMovie 6 project looks like:

When you control-click on the icon and click on Show Package Contents. You will get this:

The .mov file that you want to play with QT 7 is located in Shared Movies/iDVD. I have found that if the movie is dragged out of the iDVD folder it won't play. But get it playing in the iDVD folder and then make a screen recording of it with the Control-5 feature on your Mac.

-- Rich;

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2021 8:56 PM in response to Rich839

This is what the icon of an iMovie 6 project looks like:

When you control-click on the icon and click on Show Package Contents. You will get this:

The .mov file that you want to play with QT 7 is located in Shared Movies/iDVD. I have found that if the movie is dragged out of the iDVD folder it won't play. But get it playing in the iDVD folder and then make a screen recording of it with the Control-5 feature on your Mac.

-- Rich;

Jun 15, 2021 12:19 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Hi, Keith,

iMovie 7 was a complete redesign and rewrite of iMovie 6, so it can't update or play the iMovie 6 projects.

If you can purchase the iLife 06 package from a 3rd party vendor, like ebay, you could download iMovie 6 from there and open your projects. That would be the best way to go since you are still running the 32 bit Mojave, and not Catalina. Take a look at this link:

https://www.ebay.com/p/127902544?iid=203246604097

Or maybe you still have your old iLife 06 Mac discs, and can download from those.

It is a little tricky, but fairly easy, to download iMovie 6. I am running it on Mojave, so it can be done. If you go the iMovie 6 download route, read through this link for a couple of ways to do it:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251451443?answerId=252822366022&login=true

-- Rich

Jun 14, 2021 8:08 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Update projects and events goes back to iMovie 7. iMovie 6 projects cannot be updated to iMovie 10.

EDIT: Your option basically is to access your iMovie 6 projects through the iMovie 6 app. If you don’t have the app, you might be able to access the .mov file associated with the project by doing a Show Package Contents on the project and in the Shared folder the .mov file should appear in the iDVD folder. (Doesn’t matter that you never shared to iDVD.) Try playing the file inside that folder ( don’t drag it out). QuickTimePlayer 7 should play it. I don’t believe QT 10 will play it.

I know of no other way of accessing the project itself, although the unedited project media can be obtained from the Show Package Contents.

— Rich

Jun 15, 2021 11:24 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks.

Can iMovie V7 open iMovie 6 projects?

I am getting a new 24 inch iMac and my 2013 MBA could possibly be reverted back to 10.8 and run version 7. I might actually have it around someplace, though I have been in the habit of throwing away old ilife disks...

I have all the source, it might be easier to just start over, though not nearly as fun!

How far back does "Update Projects and Events" go?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.