Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4K Upgrade Question

I have quite a bit of movies in my library that I have used a digital code that came with the bluray movie. When I got these movies some were HD and some were SD. Ever since Apple upgraded many movies from HD to 4K I have noticed an issue. I have Disney movies that were SD but now they are saying 4K inside my library. However, when I play these movies, they are in NO WAY 4K at all. The SD clearly shows, especially on my 4K Samsung TV. It looks horrible and blurry, as SD usually does. Is this a bug in the iTunes app on the iPad and iPhone and Apple TV that Apple has not fixed at all or am I supposed to get these movies in 4K but they are not due to this bug or is the 4K Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos there to taunt me when it is none of these things? This is one of the movies I have that was a digital code purchase but it is definitely not 4K. I have watched it on my iPad Pro 12.9" 2018 and my Apple TV 4K and the picture is the blurry SD picture.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 12:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 2:12 AM

Apple will give you access to 4K content if you bought HD content in the iTunes Store that is now available as 4K. These “upgrades” may not apply to SD content purchases, nor apply to HD content purchases from reciprocal services, depending on cross-provider agreements.

However, if they show up as 4K in your library, then I would think that you would have access to that quality.

Redeem digital copies of DVDs or Blu-rays in the Apple TV app or iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Find movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Contact the iTunes Store staff for assistance.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2021 2:12 AM in response to aggressivility

Apple will give you access to 4K content if you bought HD content in the iTunes Store that is now available as 4K. These “upgrades” may not apply to SD content purchases, nor apply to HD content purchases from reciprocal services, depending on cross-provider agreements.

However, if they show up as 4K in your library, then I would think that you would have access to that quality.

Redeem digital copies of DVDs or Blu-rays in the Apple TV app or iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Find movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Contact the iTunes Store staff for assistance.

Jun 15, 2021 2:23 AM in response to Urquhart1244

These movies are not showing in 4K even though it says that I have these movies in 4K. I tested this out and movies in 4K looked crisp and sharp while movies "saying" they are 4K but don't seem to be are blurry and SD looking. I think this is an Apple bug that Apple has not fixed. These movies are now in 4k but they are lumped as a whole as 4K movies even though they may no longer be sold in SD. It's a strange bug that has deterred me from buying movies to update my SD movies to 4K because I am weary about purchasing the content "again" and thus wasting money on content the library says I already have. It's interesting because when I purchase the 4K version, often times it says "You already purchased this. Do you want to purchase again?" and I tap BUY. But the content I had was SD quality. It recognizes that I have the content already but not the quality I suppose?

Jun 18, 2021 1:04 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for your answer. How I was able to find out what was truly 4K and what was not was by using the iTunes Movie app that is built in to the Apple TV device. It tells you what is 4K and what is not. I wish the actual Apple TV app that is built in was fixed to include that information so I don't have to go into another app to check each time, but it is a short workaround that helped me. Hopefully Apple will fix this bug soon, if it is a bug.

4K Upgrade Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.