Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music and Alarms

Since about last Thursday, my alarms no longer play the songs I have selected. Instead they’ll either play nothing or just vibrate.

I’ve reset my settings, deleted the music app, re-downloaded the app and the songs. I even restored my phone as new and it still persists. In this instance, Loseless files would not play but AAC high quality would.

In addition, it seems that it’ll work with songs I have purchased in the past but not with songs that I’ve downloaded as an Apple Music subscriber.

It really seems like there’s just a bug in the system since this whole spatial audio thing rolled out.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 9:00 AM

Yeah…ummm…not to be too harsh, but you’re not paying attention to my issue.

My issue is that I’ve selected the downloaded song and when I wait for the alarm to go off, the song doesn’t play.

I’ve literally done every single end user troubleshooting step and have been able to isolate the issue. It appears to be related to audio quality higher than AAC 256 and Dobly Atmos.

My bet, the clock app wasn’t updated to handle higher quality audio.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2021 9:00 AM in response to AppleJen77

Yeah…ummm…not to be too harsh, but you’re not paying attention to my issue.

My issue is that I’ve selected the downloaded song and when I wait for the alarm to go off, the song doesn’t play.

I’ve literally done every single end user troubleshooting step and have been able to isolate the issue. It appears to be related to audio quality higher than AAC 256 and Dobly Atmos.

My bet, the clock app wasn’t updated to handle higher quality audio.

Jun 16, 2021 10:14 AM in response to AppleJen77

Yep, finally resolved the issue.

If you want to use music for an alarm, you’ll have to make sure lossless is turned off in settings>music>audio quality and download in Dolby Atmos also has to be turned off.

If you downloaded songs prior to doing that, you’ll need to remove the downloads and then download them again in the lesser quality.

Jun 16, 2021 8:50 AM in response to Wherehasalltheinnovationgone

Hello there, Wherehasalltheinnovationgone!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you are having some trouble setting a song as your alarm sound. You can set alarm sounds to be part of a song from your music library. Of course you do have to set it for each of the alarms that are set.

How to set and manage alarms on your iPhone

Otherwise you should check the song you want to use as an alarm is downloaded onto the iPhone as well as can be played all the way through. If the issue persists contact Apple Support for next steps.

Get Support

Cheers!

Apple Music and Alarms

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.