Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Returned device for Apple trade in - left SIM card in it

I just received my new iPhone 12 and transferred my data over. I then shipped off my old phone as a trade in with Apple and realized I left my SIM card in the phone (yes... I KNOW!)

Does anyone know if whoever receives the trade in phone will simply discard the old SIM?

It's easy to get a new SIM card today with my carrier but I would be keen to get confirmation that the old one will be discarded correctly.

Any help / support is appreciate to put my mind at ease.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 9:42 AM

Just have your carrier deactivate the old SIM; if you kept the same number they probably did automatically, anyway. Then it doesn’t matter, as there is no data stored on a SIM other than it’s serial number (ICCID), which maps you your phone number in your carrier’s network.

2 replies

Returned device for Apple trade in - left SIM card in it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.