Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 new Mac

Could someone please explain to me why I can’t download certain apps onto the new iMac m1 that has been recently released brought for the wife for her to only find out she can’t get all the apps that we’re on her I phone 12 pro max I was under the impression that all apps on the iPhone was compatible with the Mac as both being apple products and all eg teams Snapchat Facebook Instagram YouTube etc dose anyone know if these types of apps will be available soon or what’s the process to get these onto the Mac

many thanks

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 4:07 PM

Welcome to Apple.

First off, a few “terms of reference.”

Macs run MacOS … portables run iOS. (now sub-differentiated as iOS, iPadOS, … etc)

Completely different architecture.

iOS apps will not run on a Mac and vice-versa.

Now … Some apps are written w/ 2x flavors. (e.g. Safari) while others run on only one platform.

That’s why there is an AppStore for Mac and a separate AppStore for iOS.

Many apps are tightly integrated between the two platforms. (Apple’s are understandably the “tightest”)

The “glue” tying them together is “iCloud” and the single user identity known as “AppleID.”

Hope that helps get you rolling.

There IS a bit of a learning curve w/ Apple products; most of us users here learn something new every day.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2021 4:07 PM in response to Hicks97

Welcome to Apple.

First off, a few “terms of reference.”

Macs run MacOS … portables run iOS. (now sub-differentiated as iOS, iPadOS, … etc)

Completely different architecture.

iOS apps will not run on a Mac and vice-versa.

Now … Some apps are written w/ 2x flavors. (e.g. Safari) while others run on only one platform.

That’s why there is an AppStore for Mac and a separate AppStore for iOS.

Many apps are tightly integrated between the two platforms. (Apple’s are understandably the “tightest”)

The “glue” tying them together is “iCloud” and the single user identity known as “AppleID.”

Hope that helps get you rolling.

There IS a bit of a learning curve w/ Apple products; most of us users here learn something new every day.

Jun 15, 2021 4:24 PM in response to Hicks97

Hello, Hicks97.

Use the Safari browser to visit the websites for Facebook and Youtube. An app is not necessary since the website is quite functional and feature rich inside the browser.

Snapchat, I believe, is focused on mobile platforms so I'm not sure what is available at the website but a link to the mobile app on the App store. Like wise for Instagram.

As @Chattanoogan has posted, there is quite a difference between app built to run on iPhone/iPad and those for Mac. But I think you'll discover what you need as you explore the offerings. Get comfortable with the Safari browser and web search and have fun with your new Mac. 🙂

M1 new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.