Related Article: Mac keyboard shortcuts

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I rearrange icons in dock in macos big sur

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 4:37 PM

Same way it has always worked. What may be different is the Force Touch Trackpad.

If you are not used to using it, the Magic Trackpad has a Force Touch feature that is another gesture. If you press too hard when you are trying to drag the icons, you may not be moving them, but invoking the Force Touch Gesture.

How to use the Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2021 4:37 PM in response to dancamp5

Same way it has always worked. What may be different is the Force Touch Trackpad.

If you are not used to using it, the Magic Trackpad has a Force Touch feature that is another gesture. If you press too hard when you are trying to drag the icons, you may not be moving them, but invoking the Force Touch Gesture.

How to use the Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

Jun 15, 2021 5:11 PM in response to dancamp5

You might need to enable dragging in the Accessibility System Preferences, Pointer Control, Mouse & Trackpad tab, Trackpad Options button. I use it without drag lock so I don't have to click again to release.

I don't understand why they buried that gesture in the Accessibility preferences. Seems like basic functionality for a Trackpad. I can't imagine working without it enabled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.