Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built in Output and Built in input not showing on my audio devices?

Hello, I was just wondering if there was any steps for me to set up a built in output and built in input? When I go into the Audio Midi Setup, I am unable to find where it shows to select Built in output as an option. For that reason I am unable to screen record with audio. Is there any fix to this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 7:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 2:05 PM

Keyni_Beats wrote:
For that reason I am unable to screen record with audio. Is there any fix to this?

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2021 2:05 PM in response to Keyni_Beats

Keyni_Beats wrote:
For that reason I am unable to screen record with audio. Is there any fix to this?

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

Jun 16, 2021 1:37 PM in response to Keyni_Beats

Hello Keyni_Beats,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re looking to record your screen with audio. We’re happy to help.

You can do so by following the steps in this article: How to record the screen on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep in mind that not all apps, programs, and websites allow screen recording with audio.

Take care.

Built in Output and Built in input not showing on my audio devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.