Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stopping quick look when trying to drag a file

I was very annoyed that Quick Look would activate when I didn't want it to, instead of dragging files. The settings shown in my screen shots allow me to now use one finger to drag a file instead of it opening with Quick Look. Hope this helps someone!

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 4:55 AM

So you confirm that the issue is with the trackpad on a macbook, right?

I am pretty sure my initial "diagnostic" is correct.

Try going to System Preferences->Trackpad and under "Point and Click" turn OFF Force Click and Haptic Feedback.

Then I am sure that you will not be able to cause Quicklook to activate while you want to drag.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2021 4:55 AM in response to NikaSMP

So you confirm that the issue is with the trackpad on a macbook, right?

I am pretty sure my initial "diagnostic" is correct.

Try going to System Preferences->Trackpad and under "Point and Click" turn OFF Force Click and Haptic Feedback.

Then I am sure that you will not be able to cause Quicklook to activate while you want to drag.

Jun 16, 2021 4:57 AM in response to NikaSMP

Thank you for the additional info and devices you own. The Force Touch and sometimes the two- finger touch on Trackpad can activate unintended results such as what you have experienced. Just take trial and error and eventually the computer teaches us how it wants us to function ( humour here ;-)) )

Have a Great Day, Afternoon or Evening

Stopping quick look when trying to drag a file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.