Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini computer set up - why such a struggle?

Hi all

I just bought a second hand mac mini (M1). I am setting it up but had a massive issue already in creating a computer name/ password. I did so once, it took a while to process and said the name wasn't available. I did so again, same error message (after changing the name). I decided to restart. Both profiles I created were there (despite the error message the system produced) but the passwords I set up wouldn't work.

Then I tried to reset passwords using apple ID - no joy. It wouldn't accept my password.

Trouble shooting already done:

• Yes, am connected to wifi
  • checked keyboard is working properly
  • Tried to reset password using the recovery utility and terminal - no joy (another error message about not being able to connect to directory)
  • I reinstalled macOS bigsur - still had the two accounts I created and passwords still didnt work
  • Currently erased the volume group with OS on it, and reinstalling again.

It shouldnt be this hard to create a profile to get into the computer!

Any ideas?

thanks

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 6:47 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jun 16, 2021 9:46 AM in response to herc182

If you erased it following the instructions to the letter that woodmiester50 posted above. Then I suspect that the original owner did not follow the instructions to the letter before selling it to you.

Please review and share > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065 with the original owner to make sure that she followed those instructions to the letter. If not, then your best course of action is to get with her the original owner and/or return it to her.

Jun 16, 2021 7:47 AM in response to herc182

I erased and reinstalled bigsur. Created account. Same error (picture attached). I am at a loss as to what is wrong. Can anyone advise? I would have to erase again and reinstall the OS to create a new profile but not sure it will even work.

The irritating thing is that if you restart, it shows the account as created, but the password doesnt work and I cannot reset the password using apple ID either.

Jun 16, 2021 9:53 AM in response to den.thed

I followed that guidance to the letter but am now trying this method which has thrown up a different set of options I havent seen before so am hopeful. https://www.iclarified.com/81387/how-to-fix-computer-account-creation-failed-during-macos-big-sur-install

Specifically, the Hard drive was now called "untitled" rather than "Macintosh HD" - perhaps cleared any errant settings/ profiles.

I will pass on that link however, thank you

Mac Mini computer set up - why such a struggle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.