Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Ethernet speeds

I have a MacBook Pro 2017 running is 10.14.6 and a new Mac Mini 3.2 i7 running is 10.14.6 and both of them work fine with wifi. But when I use an Ethernet cable connection it is slower than the wifi speeds. Super frustrating.

My Ethernet cables are CAT 6. I’ve tried 2 different cables.

Comcast came to my home and checked the connection only to say it must be my computers and to contact Apple. Any ideas?

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 12:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 4:53 AM

Select "About this Mac..." from the Apple menu. Then, click System Report

button.

On the left side of the window select Network. You should then see a list

of all network devices. Select the ethernet device from the list. Scroll down

to the bottom to the "Ethernet" item. What is listed under "Medium Sub-Type".

What is listed there? this is an indicator of the connection type. For a gigabit

connection, it should be 1000baseT. If it is 100BaseT you have a wiring issue

somewhere: cable, connector, or slow device somewhere in the chain from

your computers to your router.

FWIW, an ethernet cable has 4 pairs of wires and all pairs are needed for gigabit

ethernet. If one pair in the chain is faulty (cable or connector), the communication

will revert to100BaseT as it only uses two pairs.

Similar questions

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 4:53 AM in response to noa343

Select "About this Mac..." from the Apple menu. Then, click System Report

button.

On the left side of the window select Network. You should then see a list

of all network devices. Select the ethernet device from the list. Scroll down

to the bottom to the "Ethernet" item. What is listed under "Medium Sub-Type".

What is listed there? this is an indicator of the connection type. For a gigabit

connection, it should be 1000baseT. If it is 100BaseT you have a wiring issue

somewhere: cable, connector, or slow device somewhere in the chain from

your computers to your router.

FWIW, an ethernet cable has 4 pairs of wires and all pairs are needed for gigabit

ethernet. If one pair in the chain is faulty (cable or connector), the communication

will revert to100BaseT as it only uses two pairs.

Jun 17, 2021 11:34 AM in response to hcsitas

One cable is 10 feet. The other cable is 25 feet. They both worked before when using PC computer. Nothing is in between. The Ethernet goes straight in to Mac mini. I have a modem/router from xfinity, the latest one.

Super slow is tested by ookla. And many other speed tests that are never consistent. But mostly read 100 download. WIFI and upload work fine. Also downloading a document from a site goes very very slowly.

Jun 17, 2021 1:59 PM in response to hcsitas

Ok good news…it works fine after the fresh reinstall. I set up my profile and password and I’m ready to do migr assistant.

When checking my Ethernet speed, it seems to work fine now. So reinstalling time machine is the culprit. How should I proceed? Should I reinstall it section at a time?

Thanks

Jun 17, 2021 8:22 PM in response to noa343

I would download-reinstall apps, then manually copy user data (jpegs, pngs, docs, docx’es, ppts, pptx’s, xls’, xlsx’s, pdfs etc.) from the backup. Once done, I would reformat the TM backup disk followed by a full, new backup. I would then disconnect that drive, label it “Recover” and store it in the basement. Then attach a new drive for regular backups.

The point is, your existing TM backup is spoilt goods, you need to treat it as such. Extract the known good, kill the bad & ugly. Avoid migration assistant as its a robo procedure that pulls in everything: the good, the bad, the ugly. Since we know there’s plenty ugly, MA is no-no.

Jun 18, 2021 10:53 AM in response to noa343

I don't know if this will help you or not. But check the switches in your home. My house was wired directly for internet, and I had the same problem you did, my wifi was much faster than my wired connections.

The smart box had a 100 mbps switch, and that was causing the slow down. I replaced with a gigabit ethernet switch and that solved my problem.

If you are directly connecting to the Comcast router, they're probably lying to you. :) If you have a friend with faster ethernet, see if you can hook up there to check your machine.

Slow Ethernet speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.