Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enter a password to unlock the disk “Macintosh HD - Data”.

I recently reset my MacBook Pro & reinstalled OS & each time I login I’m met with this pop up and can’t remember the password.

How can I fix this issue please?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 1:09 PM

Select the two grayed out Macintosh HD - Data volumes, and mount them. Rename them to something else than Macintosh HD - Data (only the grayed out ones).

Now, go to Finder > Go > Computer, select the renamed volumes, and move any important data from them to your main Macintosh HD.

Finally, go back to Disk Utility, select the renamed volumes, and hit "-" in the toolbar. This will erase them from your Mac and delete any data not moved on them.

-Jack

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2021 1:09 PM in response to Ash From Manchester

Select the two grayed out Macintosh HD - Data volumes, and mount them. Rename them to something else than Macintosh HD - Data (only the grayed out ones).

Now, go to Finder > Go > Computer, select the renamed volumes, and move any important data from them to your main Macintosh HD.

Finally, go back to Disk Utility, select the renamed volumes, and hit "-" in the toolbar. This will erase them from your Mac and delete any data not moved on them.

-Jack

Jun 17, 2021 11:36 AM in response to Ash From Manchester

Please go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go > Utilities), and select "View" > "Show All Devices" in Disk Utility.

Now, go down the list of devices in the left sidebar and take a screenshot of each. Now, upload all the screenshots here to Apple Support Communities in a post. (there should be at least 4 screenshots uploaded)

Resources:

Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

-Jack

Enter a password to unlock the disk “Macintosh HD - Data”.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.