Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple gift cards

Why does apple sell computers from $999-6000+ yet has a gift card limit of $2000? Please explain why you can buy a $5000 computer on apple but only use $2000 from gift cards

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 8:13 AM

I was given (5) $500 apple gift cards to purchase a MacBook Pro that costs $2799 plus tax. When I went to redeem all 5 gift cards it gave me this message

I called apple support and all they could tell me it's a "policy" thing but couldn't explain further. My family member who gave me the gift cards said there was no mention of a $2000 limit so thats fun apple

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2021 8:13 AM in response to Limnos

I was given (5) $500 apple gift cards to purchase a MacBook Pro that costs $2799 plus tax. When I went to redeem all 5 gift cards it gave me this message

I called apple support and all they could tell me it's a "policy" thing but couldn't explain further. My family member who gave me the gift cards said there was no mention of a $2000 limit so thats fun apple

Jun 17, 2021 8:00 AM in response to Tyler0003

This document explains card limits, but there is no mention anywhere of a value.

Payment, Financing, Refunds and VAT - Shopping Help - Apple

This article explains the different kinds of cards Apple uses and has links on how to redeem them and what can be purchased with each kind. Click on the link --> What type of gift card do I have? - https://support.apple.com/HT204199

Nobody here works for Apple and I have not seen any formal mention of a $2000 limit. Since we don't work for Apple we have no idea if there really is a limit or why there would be one.

Jun 17, 2021 9:14 AM in response to Tyler0003

Remember, nobody responding here works for Apple. I can think of various reasons possible reasons why they might have a limit but we're not allowed to speculate here.

From the link I posted earlier they do let you use up to 8 gift cards to pay for items.

"You can use up to eight Apple Gift Cards at a time when you purchase online from Apple, or if you’re placing an order by calling 1‑800‑MY‑APPLE. You can use your gift card(s) with one credit card and your Apple Account Balance to pay for your purchase.

Any value on an App Store & iTunes Gift Card or Apple Store Gift Card in your possession is valid.

To redeem any Apple Gift Card or App Store & iTunes Gift Card into your Apple Account Balance, simply enter or scan the PIN. We send electronic Apple Gift Cards to the card recipient via email. Using this email, the recipient can easily redeem the card’s value to their Apple Account Balance for online purchases or use the PIN at an Apple Store, on apple.com, and in the Apple Store app."

So instead of redeeming them first, see if they work directly in the online store.

Apple gift cards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.