Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect WiFi using keyboard only

I tried to reinstall a Time Machine backup of macOS. My hard drive was deleted and will not restore from my Time Machine backup external hard drive. It gets to the succeeded screen, says the iMac will restart and then freezes and does not restart. If I restart via the power button, then the iMac goes back to macOS Utilities screen.

In order to reinstall macOS, I need a WiFi connection. I don’t have a wired network connection. I cannot reinstall macOS without internet access. You cannot connect via WiFi without cursor control to move the cursor over the WiFi icon.

Apple staff have not been able to help me because I have an Apple Magic Mouse, which is wireless and so my iMac will not connect to it in macOS Utilities, via Bluetooth. I also have a wireless Apple Trackpad, without an external port to connect to my iMac.

As Apple themselves cannot help me other than to buy a new trackpad, or borrow a wired mouse from my neighbours. Who has a wired mouse these days?

So my question is, can I use my keyboard to connect to my WiFi network?

Thanks in advance for any replies. It seems Apple has dropped the ball on my issue.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.3

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 10:32 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jun 17, 2021 12:44 PM in response to Lyonhair

Wiping a machine and re-installing MacOS is not something most Mac users will do. As easy as it is to do it, it still requires a bit of technical expertise.

I have a cheap wired mouse from an old computer that I use only when doing exactly what you're doing. It's been a while, but I think if you connect the Apple mouse to your Mac using a supplied cable, it will still pair it even in the utilities screen with no MacOS installed. I'd need to verify it though.

A cheap wired-mouse will 100% work.

Connect WiFi using keyboard only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.