Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air Charging Adaptor

Just got a new iPad Air and despite needing a new Pencil, I have to buy adapters for charging my new iPad. I have several charging devices I use, one which will accommodate up to 4 iPhones and one with my computer and one in my car. However, Apple failed to mention this issue in the specs. Now I find that I need to buy and adapter which will run from my current lightning cables to my new iPad or I have to use this 3' cable with a regular plug! Talk about old school!

I am not sure which adapter I need to accommodate my various charging but it seems that I may need to either buy four of them (my office computer, my home area and my car, plus an extra in case. I would appreciate someone clarifying my situation and would love it if I was wrong!

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 7:17 AM

If you really wish to use your existing USB Power Adapters with your new iPad, recognising that you will have slower charging rates, you simply need a USB Type-A to USB-C cable. For example:

• mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN892ZM/A

If instead you would like to use your new 20W USB-C Power Adapter with your older devices (that feature a Lightning connector), then you would require a USB-C to Lightning cable. Examples:

• Apple USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MX0K2ZM/A

• mophie USB-C to Lightning Cable (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HMYC2ZM/A

As you now have an iPad with a USB-C connector, the inescapable truth is that you cannot now rely upon a single “universal” cable to charge all of your portable Apple devices; you now need at least two different cables - or an “adapter”.

To add one item of caution; wiring adapters, that convert one cable connector to another, are not permitted by the USB-C “standards” - as adapters can create unapproved wiring combinations that can, potentially, cause equipment damage. Given the relative cost of your iPad/iPhone versus that of a cable, it is far better to use an approved cable than risk using a cheap wiring adapter. Ultimately, its your risk to take - and consequence to accept.

I hope this additional information provides constructive and helpful information upon which to make an informed choice.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2021 7:17 AM in response to Sezen13

If you really wish to use your existing USB Power Adapters with your new iPad, recognising that you will have slower charging rates, you simply need a USB Type-A to USB-C cable. For example:

• mophie USB-A Cable with USB-C Connector (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HN892ZM/A

If instead you would like to use your new 20W USB-C Power Adapter with your older devices (that feature a Lightning connector), then you would require a USB-C to Lightning cable. Examples:

• Apple USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MX0K2ZM/A

• mophie USB-C to Lightning Cable (1 m)

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/HMYC2ZM/A

As you now have an iPad with a USB-C connector, the inescapable truth is that you cannot now rely upon a single “universal” cable to charge all of your portable Apple devices; you now need at least two different cables - or an “adapter”.

To add one item of caution; wiring adapters, that convert one cable connector to another, are not permitted by the USB-C “standards” - as adapters can create unapproved wiring combinations that can, potentially, cause equipment damage. Given the relative cost of your iPad/iPhone versus that of a cable, it is far better to use an approved cable than risk using a cheap wiring adapter. Ultimately, its your risk to take - and consequence to accept.

I hope this additional information provides constructive and helpful information upon which to make an informed choice.

Jun 17, 2021 1:18 PM in response to imikebre

Well, I move around a lot and need to have things ready to be used. I have been supplied with a 3' cable and plug. I charge my iPhone through my car as needed. You are suggested that Apple cannot be trusted to produce a charging capability for my iPad that can be used with lightning cables that they advise using on all their other small devices? I have trouble accepting that as a customer or as a supporter of Apple.

If Apple can make charging devices for every other product that can withstand "melting or damage" to their product, then they are not the Apple I once knew and believed in, nor are they concerned with customer satisfaction at this point. If there is an adapter, I will assume responsibility for using it and only ask if you can give me the information needed to order it?

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2021 1:32 PM in response to Sezen13

You can use pretty much any charger. Not sure why the above poster thinks an adapter it will melt the iPad. Chargers are designed to charge devices and iPads are designed to use chargers to charge themselves and adapters are designed to adapt nor melt. Unless they are thinking of something else entirely.

You can use the included cable with an appropriate charging brick if you have one.

Or you can use any USB-C cable or any USB-C to USB-A adapter. or cable.

There really is no major issue when charging Apple devices. They are designed to only pull the energy they need to charge, and cannot be overcharged.

You probably already own a charger you can use with an adequate cable.

If your computer has regular USB-A Ports then you can use a USB-C to USB-A adapter to go from the iPads port to a regular USB-A connection.

Jun 17, 2021 4:07 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for the clarification. I still seem confused about this. The new iPad has a different "male" insert used to both charge the machine and enter the power plug. It is NOT compatible with any device or charger that I currently have. Every device I have has the same "smaller" male tip and they are interchangeable. This is now different and all I want to do, since Apple did not include one in the box, is get an adapter that will allow me to charge this new iPad using the USB cable I have now. I assume the adaptor would go from the smaller previous male into the adapter and then that would have a female for my cable. Or, if using my computer to charge the iPad, the adapter could be between the cable I have in my USB and go to the iPad through the adapter.

Sorry to be so dense with this, but somehow I think I am not communicating well enough.

Thanks!

Jun 17, 2021 4:30 PM in response to Sezen13

Your new iPad Air4 has a USB-C port - not Lightning that you find on your other Apple mobile devices. Apple’s 2020 iPad Air4 and 2018/2020/2021 iPad’s Pro all use this new standard. As for future models, we are not permitted to speculate - but it doesn’t take much imagination to see the likely direction.

Supplied in the box with your new iPad Air4 was a new 20W Power Adapter - also with a USB-C port - and a USB-C to USB-C cable to interconnect the iPad and its new Power Adapter.

The new Power Adapter features USB PD (Power Delivery) technology - that is able to Fast Charge your iPad at higher voltage and charging current than your older USB Power Adapters can support.

If you intend to use your older Power Adapters and cables, you will reduce the maximum charging rate of your new iPad Air4 from 18-20W to only 12W - increasing recharge time by about 33%. Put another way, the new Power Adapter and USB-C cable will charge your iPad Air4 50% faster than the best of your older USB Power Adapters (assuming that they are rated at 12W).

USB-C is the new (and more advanced) connection standard. Whilst you may choose to utilise the older standards, you will sacrifice the enhanced performance of USB-C.

Jun 18, 2021 8:57 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks very much for your clarification. I must say, I did contact Apple support (in India, I think) and they were unable to give me any information regarding these questions. In fact, I was told by a Supervisor that Samsung and others make these changes all the time and never clarify the changes to users! That was when I came to the Community for information!

Thanks again!

iPad Air Charging Adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.