Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Select/Play Search Results in Apple Music.app?

How To Select/Play Search Results in Apple Music. app? (macOS Big Sur, same with Catalina)

I would like to "select all" search results for a search query in my library. (For various purposes such as playing them (add to queue/play next), adding to a playlist, editing their tags etc.)

Neither select all via shortcut nor via mouse works... There is no menu item or right-click option.

This worked fine on iTunes and literally any player.

(As I am using iTunes Match, I think I am bound to Apple's Music.app, I presume? Otherwise, I may look for a better player...)

Thanks for any tips!

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 8:34 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 19, 2021 7:34 PM in response to ed2345

Hi Ed,

Thank you for the reply. It does not work for me. Could you elaborate on how you do that? There is no more "As Songs" in the "View" menu of Music.app (there was in iTunes AFAIR).

If I click on "see all" in the search result screen, it will show songs, but they cannot be "select all"... :/

If I click on Library>Songs, then search, then Music.app will show the search result screen as originally posted.

If I search first, then I click on Library>Songs, Music.app will show me all songs in the library, not only those matching the search.

How do you search and then select all search results?

With iTunes gone and no other app to use, this makes my library/Match unusable for me... "pathetique" per Ludwig van Beethoven if this function is really overlooked in Music.app. I cannot imagine that I am the only person that would like to "search and select" (all/multiple)... seems absolutely basic functionality, it was there in iTunes and Spotlight works with the usual Apple-A that I was expecting...

Help appreciated!

Jun 20, 2021 7:15 AM in response to _daniel_

Daniel,

Poking around a bit, I see that the option to View > As Songs is only available in some cases, e.g. it is there for a playlist, but not for the Songs library.

However, if you are in your Songs library, you can use View > Show Filter Field. It gives you a new search bar at the upper right that allows you to select only songs that match.

How To Select/Play Search Results in Apple Music.app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.