Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not backing up

I am getting the message from Time Machine that is "couldn't back up to "My Passport." My Passport is my external hard drive from Western Digital. I had a backup on June 15th haven't since. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 1:29 PM

Please read and follow all the steps in If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support.

If you find it necessary to erase the disk it's probably just defective, and there will be a significant likelihood of having to erase it again. Make that determination before its warranty expires.

2 replies

Jun 18, 2021 11:11 AM in response to smaxie

WD drives are pretty low quality. Please try some baics though and see if you can get it to re-connect.

Restart the computer in Safe Mode with all wired external peripherals disconnected such as External Hard Disks, printers, scanners, cameras, etc..., the plug your Time Machine External Hard Disk back in and re-test. If you don't have any luck, you can open Disk Utility and run First Aid on the Time Machine drive. If the drive cannot be see by the system, please try another USB cable.

Time Machine not backing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.