Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed backup from Time Machine to My Passport for Mac external hard drive

My Passport for Mac has worked to accept backups from Time Machine, but now I get an error message stating that it can't do it any longer. I tried to run First Aid using Disk Utilities, but get an error message there too. In the exclusion box, My Passport for Mac appears but is grayed out, so I can't delete it from that file. Any thoughts?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 2:11 PM

philip_,

Try restarting your Mac, then attempt to run First Aid again. Sometimes, giving your devices a fresh start can fix unexpected behavior. If you're able to run First Aid successfully and an error is found, go through the steps from this article to repair it: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility.

If the issue persists, the best step forward would be to reach back out to the manufacturer for additional support.

Best regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2022 2:11 PM in response to philip_

philip_,

Try restarting your Mac, then attempt to run First Aid again. Sometimes, giving your devices a fresh start can fix unexpected behavior. If you're able to run First Aid successfully and an error is found, go through the steps from this article to repair it: How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility.

If the issue persists, the best step forward would be to reach back out to the manufacturer for additional support.

Best regards.

Failed backup from Time Machine to My Passport for Mac external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.