Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backup to Passport for Mac

When I restarted my Mac recently, the following message appeared and reappears every time I log in: "Time machine couldn't back up to My Passport for Mac. Files can't be copied onto the backup disk because it is read-only."

I have a 2017 iMac with OSMonterey version 12.3.1.

What can I do to fix this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 5, 2022 5:24 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 6, 2022 9:03 AM in response to readersinc

The Mercury Elite Pro is an enclosure for HD's. If you buy the MEP that has no drive it in , you can install your own SSD with an adapter.

No app is 100% trouble-free. In 20+ years of Mac US and over 15 years of TM use I have found it pretty reliable. However the the ultra paranoid (I am in that group) like having redundant backups. Why, because a backup drive can fail too! I use TM and also on a 2nd EHD create a bootable clone backup using SuperDuper!. My choice was SD! however a lot of other users prefer Carbon Copy Cloner and love it. Either SD! or CCC will do the job, it's just a personal choice.

Time Machine backup to Passport for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.