Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos won't appear as desktop picture

I run a MacBook Pro using system 10.14.6 Mojave. Recently I find that when I right click on the desktop to change the desktop picture, although the photos in my photo library appear in the window, only a handful of them will work as the desktop picture. Most of them, when I click on them, nothing happens. I don't get it, because all the photos are imported into the library either from my iPad or imported as images downloaded from my Google account. Where the photo originates doesn't seem to have a bearing on whether it'll show or not anyway. Here's a screenshot showing the problem. Note the question mark in the preview window. Those that do work are very few and seem to be quite random.

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 7:52 PM

Reboot.

If that fails to resolve the problem, please see if the problem continues to happen in Safe mode.

How to restart in Safe Mode… 

Use safe mode to isolate issues - Apple Support

NOTE starting up in Safe mode could take 5-10 minutes. Be patient.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

If not, then leave safe mode by restart your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue after a normal startup.

If the problem persist, please return here and let us know so we can offer other suggestions to resolve this.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2021 7:52 PM in response to John the Greek

Reboot.

If that fails to resolve the problem, please see if the problem continues to happen in Safe mode.

How to restart in Safe Mode… 

Use safe mode to isolate issues - Apple Support

NOTE starting up in Safe mode could take 5-10 minutes. Be patient.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

If not, then leave safe mode by restart your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue after a normal startup.

If the problem persist, please return here and let us know so we can offer other suggestions to resolve this.

Photos won't appear as desktop picture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.