Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

edited photos appear unedited when desktop background

I've just started using a new MacBook Air, and set my desktop to use one of my Photos albums. However, on the new MacBook desktop, the photos do not appear with the edits I've done in Photos -- the pics are not cropped the way I have saved them in Photos. Does anyone know how to correct this -- how to get edited version of my pics to display as desktop background? On my previous MacBook the edited/cropped versions would display for desktop.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2022 10:02 PM

One more idea - perhaps this will work for you as well: How are you setting the Desktop picture? In the System preferences or directly from Photos?

When I want to use a cropped or rotated picture I found it safer to use the Share menu in Photos: Share > Set as Desktop Picture. This command will force Photos to create a preview and send the current preview to the Desktop, not the original. However, the photo will be zoomed to fill the screen. So we still have to open the System Preferences > Desktop and change this to "Fit" instead of fill.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2022 10:02 PM in response to achilepastor

One more idea - perhaps this will work for you as well: How are you setting the Desktop picture? In the System preferences or directly from Photos?

When I want to use a cropped or rotated picture I found it safer to use the Share menu in Photos: Share > Set as Desktop Picture. This command will force Photos to create a preview and send the current preview to the Desktop, not the original. However, the photo will be zoomed to fill the screen. So we still have to open the System Preferences > Desktop and change this to "Fit" instead of fill.

Jan 31, 2022 9:12 PM in response to léonie

I want to use the desktop options of using all the photos in a folder, changing every minute in random order, not just one photo. All of the photos have been cropped to fit my full screen. The system is using the right folder, changing the desktop pic every minute as selected in System Preferences: desktop & screen saver; just isn't showing cropped-to-fit versions.

edited photos appear unedited when desktop background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.