Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop syncing Desktop and Documents on iCloud?

My iCloud Drive is full. macOS Mojave (10.14.6) and I am trying to remove Documents and Desktop from my iCloud drive and put them on my macbook drive.

I went to Preferences>iCloud Drive>Options and unchecked "Desktop and Documents Folders."

The alert says "If you continue, items will be removed from the Desktop and the Documents folder on this Mac and will remain available in iCloud Drive."

That's not what I want. I want to stop syncing Desktop and Documents. I want the files to remain on the Mac and be deleted on iCloud. I am afraid to follow the directions in fear of losing everything. HELP please anyone.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2021 1:12 AM

As per the article Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Move items to your Mac and remove them from iCloud Drive

• On your Mac, drag items from iCloud drive to another folder in the Finder sidebar or on the desktop, such as Downloads, Movies, Music and Pictures. 
  • The items are copied to your Mac and removed from iCloud Drive on all your devices set up for iCloud. If you change your mind, you can drag items back to iCloud Drive.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2021 1:12 AM in response to Mum0626

As per the article Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Move items to your Mac and remove them from iCloud Drive

• On your Mac, drag items from iCloud drive to another folder in the Finder sidebar or on the desktop, such as Downloads, Movies, Music and Pictures. 
  • The items are copied to your Mac and removed from iCloud Drive on all your devices set up for iCloud. If you change your mind, you can drag items back to iCloud Drive.

Jun 19, 2021 10:10 PM in response to Mum0626

As you wrote - I dont want anything in iCloud. I don't need to access my computer from my phone or my phone info from my computer other than my email.

So you mean to say mails should sync between iPhone and Mac

For that the same Apple ID and password is to be signed on the same network , if you turn off iCloud features they will

temporary unsync

The iCloud data is still occupying space , contradictory you said the photos should be dragged and dropped literally on desktop screen , there is no point of saving thousands of photos on the screen users prefer the desktop screen to be clutter free .

Also there are thousands of messages chats in Mac / iPhone , its because messages are synced read the article Use Messages in iCloud on Mac - Apple Support

And regarding iCloud is full see the article Upgrade or downgrade your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Second method .

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Save space on your MacBook Air - Apple Support

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Find and delete files on your Mac - Apple Support

Read this thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251789307

Jun 19, 2021 5:49 PM in response to tygb

Thank you for this but I have absolutely no idea what it means. All I want to do is have everything that is on my desktop and all of my documents NOT in in iCloud. In fact, I dont want anything in iCloud. I don't need to access my computer from my phone or my phone info from my computer, other than my email. My computer is full. I can't delete the photos and attachments from my imessages on my computer, 4500 in one chat and 5400 in another. I don't want to delete the entire chat. It won't allow me to do a bulk delete. This is insane. If remove iCloud from my computer, everything goes with it despite my trying to move those folders elsewhere.

How to stop syncing Desktop and Documents on iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.